Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Jonasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone else's child have crossed eyes?

Or strabismus? The ped said it was normal for eyes to cross until 6 months occasionally, and his eyes are still totally crossing a lot of the time (6 mo. on the 8th)and he has trouble with eye contact...So I've been doing research and it seems the only thing that is coming up is surgery....Does anyone know of any alternative? We are going back to ped Monday and then to and opthamalogist. I know they might recomend patching one or both eyes, and glasses maybe. But are there any success stories out there w/o surgery...or with?

Any Alternative therapy's anyone knows about, for his poor little eyeballs?

I'm totally stressed because he is very High Needs, but maybe it has been his eyes the whole time? and that makes me feel like a bad mom, for all the times I have called him crotchety and thinking he is just the grumpiest baby...

So anyway, if you or your child or a friend of a friend's child has crossed eyes, and you have a though let me know! Thanks!
~Elizabeth

Advertisement

Last edited by Jonasmama; 03-03-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typos
Jonasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone else's child have crossed eyes?

Yes my DD has strabismas. It was detected much later than 6 months. It was diagnosed at 4 years old. She probably showed signs of it about 3 y/o. She weras glasses. We did alot of patching the "strong eye" so the weak eye was doing all the work and building strength. I ended up changing Ophthamologists (which I would get a refferal from you DC's ped. and go straight to an Ophthomoligist. Not an Optomotrist, an Ophthomologist very important difference) and get a second opinion. Anyways, where was I? I took DD to another Ophthomoligist and he perscribed dialtion as apposed to patching, and it helped my daughters eye out so much! She still wears glasses, but the crossing is not as bad at all, and hopefully she can get it all worked out. She was legally blind in one eye, and she would have to have a special driver's liscence with her vision the way it was. But now, her vision is great. Not legally blind in one eye. AND No surgery needed at this point. So, I would highly reccomend taking DC to an Ohthomoligist, as I said before. They are the ones you need to talk to. HTH! and good luck! Your son is adorable!

ETA: Strabismas can cause learning issues too. I had an Ophthomoligist send me an article on studies done on kids who can't see properly doing not as well in their studies. So, it is connected I beleive. And it is important to get your children's eyes checked, everyone!

Last edited by amandaev; 03-03-2007 at 09:48 PM.
amandaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Jonasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone else's child have crossed eyes?

Thank you! Your kids are adorable too!! Thank you for all your information, I feel so much better that your daughter is getting better without surgery. It gives me a lot of relief of worry.
I think your right, it must affect their learning abilities...I can already see some slight delays with Jonas and it must be from him just not being able to see straight, to focus on learning. I really appreciate your response, Thank you!!!
~Elizabeth
Jonasmama is offline   Reply With Quote