Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

For the love of reading group - September! *Join us!*

We had a group going and it fizzled. Looking to start back up again because we were loving all of the recommendations and discussions!

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

This will be a monthly thread where we’ll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books you’re reading to your kids, if you’d like

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL - if you don’t want a goal that’s fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure we’re reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When you’re done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you don’t have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! I've taken lead in starting this month's thread, but if anyone wants to start the months off if I forget - please do!

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the love of reading group - September! *Join us!*

Hellooooo, readers!! Sara, I hope you don't mind that I took over to begin this again (and used your original post wording). We somehow fizzled out and a couple of us are hoping to get a group back together.

I loved all of the discussions and recommendations! I think it was a little hard to keep up with the weekly threads though, so I changed it to monthly threads. It might be easier to look back on recommendations and such in one thread.

So please, come back and join in! If you're totally new - yay!! Welcome!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

As for me, September has started out pretty good, reading wise.

I finished my audiobook version of Elin Hilderbrand's The Castaways and really enjoyed it. It was my first Hilderbrand novel and I already have another waiting! The Castaways is about four couples, all dear friends. One couple is killed and the novel goes back and forth between each of the other friends in the group, telling of their lives, relationships, secrets, and loves. I really enjoyed it.

And, I FINALLY finished A Year in the Maine Woods. I think I renewed it twice from the library and I just couldn't turn it in without finishing it. It started out great and exciting (a man goes off to live in the woods of Maine with no electricity/running water to rediscover nature and live simply) but it quickly became a personal study of every kind of tree, bird, and insect he found. Which was ok, it really was. But this is a book you take your time reading and enjoying and I haven't been in that kind of reading mode lately, so I kept putting it off. I normally love these types of "live off the land" books, though. It's an inspirational book...but you must take your time reading it (as it was meant I'm sure).

Right now I'm halfway through the 3rd Stephanie Plum novel ( Three to Get Deadly) and am enjoying it, of course. These are fun, light reads and I've been enjoying the series so far.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
catilina
Registered Users
seller

I had no idea this was here. Guess I should at least venture into Extra Fluffy sometimes just to see what it's all about, huh? Thanks for posting in OT so I could find this! I would love to join. I love reading!

I am currently finally reading all the Harry Potter books. I have put it off for a long time because honestly I'm just not really into fantasy, but I figured I should probably read them just to say I have. I am actually really enjoying them a lot more than I thought I would. I don't love them, but they are fun, easy reads. I am about to start the 4th one (Goblet of Fire).

I am also currently "reading" (audiobook) "When Madeline Was Young" by Jane Hamilton. It is a coming-of-age story told by a boy who was raised with a mentally-handicapped "sister" figure, who is actually his father's first wife (who was injured in a bike accident just months after their marriage. The man takes care of her, divorcing her and marrying again, and then he and his new wife adopt her and raise her as their own child). It is really an interesting story so far. I'm not too far into it, and honestly it's been put on the back burner for now because I don't really like audiobooks so I only listen to it when I am driving or weeding the garden!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

Oh fun! I would love to join! I love to read and usually have to read before bedtime every night

Right now I'm reading some non-fiction:
The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull and The Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick

I've visited the battlefield a couple of times and I think it's really fascinating. It's a big book and definitely a slower read for me than my usual fiction fare. But I am enjoying it. It's really interesting to read all of the in-depth history and I feel like I'm getting to know the people involved. It gives me a new perspective because it makes me realize how real and human it all was. Philbrick is a good writer and really brings it to life.

Thanks for starting this up!
Sara - Wife to DH since 04 . Mom to DD (3/09) and expecting #2 (2/11) Also mom to 3 crazy mutts . It's a circus around here!

Last edited by Sassu; 09-09-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
bessaroni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello. I like to read

I just forced myself to close the book I am reading so I don't get too grumpy with the kids tomorrow. I'm on the second book of the Hunger Games series. It is called 'Catching Fire'. Good stuff and it has probably already been discussed.

I rebelled against the Harry Potter books for a while too because I hated fantasy. Now it is one of my favourite genres
Need cute wall decals? Mention DiaperSwappers and get 15% off at WillowCreekSigns.
bessaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Yay!! I'm so glad you mamas came to join in! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina View Post
I had no idea this was here. Guess I should at least venture into Extra Fluffy sometimes just to see what it's all about, huh? Thanks for posting in OT so I could find this! I would love to join. I love reading!

I am currently finally reading all the Harry Potter books. I have put it off for a long time because honestly I'm just not really into fantasy, but I figured I should probably read them just to say I have. I am actually really enjoying them a lot more than I thought I would. I don't love them, but they are fun, easy reads. I am about to start the 4th one (Goblet of Fire).

I am also currently "reading" (audiobook) "When Madeline Was Young" by Jane Hamilton. It is a coming-of-age story told by a boy who was raised with a mentally-handicapped "sister" figure, who is actually his father's first wife (who was injured in a bike accident just months after their marriage. The man takes care of her, divorcing her and marrying again, and then he and his new wife adopt her and raise her as their own child). It is really an interesting story so far. I'm not too far into it, and honestly it's been put on the back burner for now because I don't really like audiobooks so I only listen to it when I am driving or weeding the garden!
Well, I still haven't read the HP books, but I do want to...eventually! My oldest DS owns them all and has read them 5 or 6 times now, so I think having them around makes them less appealing. I enjoyed the movies I have seen though, so I do plan to get to them.

I'm going to check out When Madeline Was Young now - thank you! Whoa, what a story line! Oh, and I really love audiobooks! It's all in the narrator, though. I've almost given up on a book before because the narrator's voice and horrible fake accents were just terrible. I listed to them in the car while we're running errands, and at the YMCA when I'm working out.

Right now I'm listening to Eat, Pray, Love - forgot to mention that in my other post! I'm only on disk 2 (of 11) and am enjoying it so far. It's gotten really opposite reviews that I've seen - either readers have hated it or loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassu View Post
Oh fun! I would love to join! I love to read and usually have to read before bedtime every night

Right now I'm reading some non-fiction:
The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull and The Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick

I've visited the battlefield a couple of times and I think it's really fascinating. It's a big book and definitely a slower read for me than my usual fiction fare. But I am enjoying it. It's really interesting to read all of the in-depth history and I feel like I'm getting to know the people involved. It gives me a new perspective because it makes me realize how real and human it all was. Philbrick is a good writer and really brings it to life.

Thanks for starting this up!
Ooh, that sounds like an interesting subject! I like reading non-fiction! Lately though, all of my non-fiction has been memoirs. Not the same, but I have found my favorite genre to be historical fiction. I just love dipping into a little piece of history and trying to picture how things were back then. I recently read (and LOVED LOVED) Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. It's easily my favorite book of the year so far. And now I'm on a search for more books on the leprosy outbreak in Hawai'i to learn more about it!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessaroni View Post
Hello. I like to read

I just forced myself to close the book I am reading so I don't get too grumpy with the kids tomorrow. I'm on the second book of the Hunger Games series. It is called 'Catching Fire'. Good stuff and it has probably already been discussed.

I rebelled against the Harry Potter books for a while too because I hated fantasy. Now it is one of my favourite genres
Howdy!

How are you liking that second book? My DS recently read Hunger Games but hasn't read that one yet. I was going to read HG after him, but the deadline was up at the library and I had a STACK of books I was still trying to get through. But it's on my list of books to read...eventually! There are a shameful amount of "eventually" books. Not enough time!!

I'm still rebelling against the Twilight books. I just saw Twilight the movie a couple of days ago on TV and I'm thinking I might pass on the books. (Or is the book series much better? Because the whole slow-motion scenes, over dramatic looks, and glittering skin just didn't appeal to me. )

Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
catilina
Registered Users
seller

I am not really an auditory learner, so listening to audiobooks is hard for me. My mind wanders A LOT when I am listening. I really like to be able to see the words, book in hand, reread if I need to, go as fast or slow as I want. But I do like audiobooks for anytime I am in the car for more than 20 minutes or so and for when I have to do a mindless task but can't be holding a book at the same time (like weeding, as I mentioned, or washing dishes or folding laundry). I have tried listening to audiobooks while I workout but I just can't focus on the books enough when I am exercising!

I read all 3 of the Hunger Games books. I'm still not sure how much I like them. They were compelling for sure (I read the first 2 in about 5 hours each and the 3rd in a day) but I didn't think they were especially well-written or consistent. Still, interesting plot ideas definitely!

I finally read the Twilight series and really hated it- as I expected to. The writing was horrific, I didn't find ANY of the characters likable or sympathetic, and then add the whole vampire thing on top of that (totally not my cup of tea), and it was just painful for me to read. The movies are even worse, but definitely make awesome mockers (Mystery Science Theater style!)!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
alia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also recently read the Hunger Games books and really enjoyed them, though I don't think the last two lived up to the first. It's hard to do that when you have a unique concept to begin with, I think.

DH read the Twilight series but told me not to, because I would get really angry and irritable. We watched the first movie at home on a random date night, and he was explaining to me all the irritating things about the writing and plot development, so that I could spare myself.

I have enjoyed a bunch of the paranormal stuff coming out. The one that comes to mind right now is Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. Also some stuff by Charlie Huston.

Also recently finished the Steig Larsson series. Can't remember what they were called, but Dh said they have enough notes to perhaps finish two more books, even though the author's died? Sort of like with the Wheel of Time thing, except that series teed me off with its never-endingness. I remember staring to love it, then getting really annoyed. This was just out of college, so goodness knows how many books have come out since I gave up on that.

I also really liked Daemon and Freedom...Daniel Suarez. Liked that a bunch of the first book was set in my hometown of Houston. Not the best-written novels, but tons of fun and some really good one-liners/observations.

May not be able to contribute a ton here, but will check in when I can!

Other Houston Babywearers groups meet all over town, too.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote