Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #11
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group - September! *Join us!*

This looks like an interesting thread. I'm pregnant and overly emotional, so I'm currently only reading books that are funny. I cry too easily to read other stuff right now! I'm alternating between When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris and Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson. Both of them are humorous collections of non-fiction stories from the authors' lives. Sedaris is all over the place, but Bryson's book is focused on travels in Europe. I love them both and highly recommend them!

I loved the first Twilight book. The rest of them were not as good, though I kind of the like the battle scenes in the third and fourth ones. As far as storyline they are pretty predictable, but if you want a fluffy love story they work great! Breaking Dawn (book 4) is pretty crazy though, and I really didn't like it. Kind of like the author wasn't sure how to end it and just went off the deep end. She is really nice though (she helped out some former students of mine in AZ), so I won't say anything bad about her. I read the books because I taught high school and needed to know what all the hype was about. I think I would have been happy stopping at book 1 though.

Advertisement

katiegud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
juamelen5
Registered Users
seller

hello my name is juana and i used to be a book addict
and a harry potter addict
i no longer read as much as i once did but would love to get in the groove of it once more thanks for this!
juamelen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
Hellooooo, readers!! Sara, I hope you don't mind that I took over to begin this again (and used your original post wording). We somehow fizzled out and a couple of us are hoping to get a group back together.

I loved all of the discussions and recommendations! I think it was a little hard to keep up with the weekly threads though, so I changed it to monthly threads. It might be easier to look back on recommendations and such in one thread.

So please, come back and join in! If you're totally new - yay!! Welcome!
Not at all-I totally dropped the ball But I'm back-just need to get to the library this weekend and get some books
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #14
Lisonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also didn't know this was here , thanks for posting in OT . I haven't read anything since I've moved to the states 13 yrs ago . I use to be a super fast reader in french and it was wrong and frustrating to read books in english , so I just didn't . I read the 4th Twilight book so I'd know what happened and I loved it . Easy to read for me . Then went on to read the others . All over the summer .

I just finished reading the first Hunger Games . I thought it was different , violent but still good , just finished over the Holiday weekend . I only didn't like the ending since it really doesn't end anything . It's like the end of a chapter . So now I have the 2nd and am just starting it . I wanted to say that sure made me appreciate what I have ....

The library at my ds's school have been super nice and been letting me take out books there
Wife to John IV , SAHM to John V 10 yrs old , Louis-Philippe 4 yrs old and Naomi Rae Soleil 12/01/2008 http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=358135http://www.youdata.com/join/lisonh My ISO list http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post11707288
Lisonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #15
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Hello. I also used to be a book adict but my 8 month old usually prevents me from reading as much I used to. I really do need to get back into it because my reading of late has been online forums, which is fine but most of them are full of more drama than TNT.

Currently I'm reading: Dreaming in Chinese by: Deborah Fallows

So far so good. I'm really liking it. She writes very well and I find this book a joy to read. My husband is from Taiwan and I am always hungry to learn more about his culture. Plus I'm trying to learn Chinese and every little bit of help...well helps! LOL

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina View Post
I am not really an auditory learner, so listening to audiobooks is hard for me. My mind wanders A LOT when I am listening.
I do sometimes let my mind wande, too. Then I have to skip back to whatever part I actually remember listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
I also recently read the Hunger Games books and really enjoyed them, though I don't think the last two lived up to the first. It's hard to do that when you have a unique concept to begin with, I think.

DH read the Twilight series but told me not to, because I would get really angry and irritable. We watched the first movie at home on a random date night, and he was explaining to me all the irritating things about the writing and plot development, so that I could spare myself.

I have enjoyed a bunch of the paranormal stuff coming out. The one that comes to mind right now is Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. Also some stuff by Charlie Huston.

Also recently finished the Steig Larsson series. Can't remember what they were called, but Dh said they have enough notes to perhaps finish two more books, even though the author's died? Sort of like with the Wheel of Time thing, except that series teed me off with its never-endingness. I remember staring to love it, then getting really annoyed. This was just out of college, so goodness knows how many books have come out since I gave up on that.

I also really liked Daemon and Freedom...Daniel Suarez. Liked that a bunch of the first book was set in my hometown of Houston. Not the best-written novels, but tons of fun and some really good one-liners/observations.

May not be able to contribute a ton here, but will check in when I can!
Ooh, thanks for the recommendations! I like paranormal and fantasy. I'm reading the Black Daggar Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward now and WHOA are those books good! If you ladies (and men?) want to check out a good vampire series, I really recommend them. The first book is Dark Lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegud View Post
This looks like an interesting thread. I'm pregnant and overly emotional, so I'm currently only reading books that are funny. I cry too easily to read other stuff right now! I'm alternating between When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris and Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson. Both of them are humorous collections of non-fiction stories from the authors' lives. Sedaris is all over the place, but Bryson's book is focused on travels in Europe. I love them both and highly recommend them!
eta: my quotes tags got all jacked up and this got lost.

Awe, Katie! Congratulations on your little one. When are you due? Both of my sisters and my sister-in-law are pregnant right now. Plus three friends! It's crazy! But for funny, have you read any of Chelsea Handler's books? I read Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang and enjoyed that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juamelen5 View Post
hello my name is juana and i used to be a book addict
and a harry potter addict
i no longer read as much as i once did but would love to get in the groove of it once more thanks for this!
Hey, Juana! I used to read ALL of the time until I had my two youngest kidlets. Then I kind of put it on the back burner until recently. I didn't think I ever had time to read, but I actually just wasn't making the time. Also, I'd ONLY read Dean Koontz books before and I decided I needed to read other authors/genres and WOW was I missing out on so many awesome books!! I'm glad you're here and hopefully you can get your reading groove back like I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
Not at all-I totally dropped the ball But I'm back-just need to get to the library this weekend and get some books
You have been lashed, and all is forgiven! We're super excited you're back! Now get thee to the library! I just finished Moloka'i by Alan Brennert and I totally recommend that (if you're not sure what to get yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisonh View Post
I also didn't know this was here , thanks for posting in OT . I haven't read anything since I've moved to the states 13 yrs ago . I use to be a super fast reader in french and it was wrong and frustrating to read books in english , so I just didn't . I read the 4th Twilight book so I'd know what happened and I loved it . Easy to read for me . Then went on to read the others . All over the summer .

I just finished reading the first Hunger Games . I thought it was different , violent but still good , just finished over the Holiday weekend . I only didn't like the ending since it really doesn't end anything . It's like the end of a chapter . So now I have the 2nd and am just starting it . I wanted to say that sure made me appreciate what I have ....

The library at my ds's school have been super nice and been letting me take out books there
Ok, all of you mamas are either reading the HG books or already have. I think I might have to bump this up on my "eventually" list! That's so neat your DS' school is letting you check books out!

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 09-10-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittee View Post
Hello. I also used to be a book adict but my 8 month old usually prevents me from reading as much I used to. I really do need to get back into it because my reading of late has been online forums, which is fine but most of them are full of more drama than TNT.

Currently I'm reading: Dreaming in Chinese by: Deborah Fallows

So far so good. I'm really liking it. She writes very well and I find this book a joy to read. My husband is from Taiwan and I am always hungry to learn more about his culture. Plus I'm trying to learn Chinese and every little bit of help...well helps! LOL
Hehe, I know all about those little distractions. Now that mine are a little older, they entertain themselves at least for one playtime during the day and I can sneak out my book.

That sounds like an interesting book! I'd love to just go to a new country and learn their language. It has to be a bit scary, too, though.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #18
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassu View Post
Oh fun! I would love to join! I love to read and usually have to read before bedtime every night

Right now I'm reading some non-fiction:
The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull and The Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick

I've visited the battlefield a couple of times and I think it's really fascinating. It's a big book and definitely a slower read for me than my usual fiction fare. But I am enjoying it. It's really interesting to read all of the in-depth history and I feel like I'm getting to know the people involved. It gives me a new perspective because it makes me realize how real and human it all was. Philbrick is a good writer and really brings it to life.

Thanks for starting this up!

If you like that type of book you should check out In The Spirit of Crazy Horse
I've read it probably 10 times, and even used it + several others as research for my Thesis for college. If you do read it and like it I can list many others for you that you might like.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

Last edited by norrahsmommy; 09-10-2010 at 09:23 AM.
norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

So, goals! It's optional, but for some of us it helps keep us reading when the daily life drama starts taking over.

My goal is to read 6 books/month. I fell short by one in August, but I did some contract work and was stuck on a really sloooooow book and just wasn't all that excited to finish it (finished it this month though - whee!).

I started to name all of my top reads so far this year, but the list was too long!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
alia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kelly... I have been recommended the Black Dagger Brotherhood more times than I can count. I will put it on my Kindle list! (That's the easiest way for me to read while DD is napping. I use it on my phone, which has a backlight.)

Other Houston Babywearers groups meet all over town, too.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote