Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group - September! *Join us!*

Hi- I'm Lacee...and I like to read.

I've been listening to the Dark Series (I've posted about it before in off topic) at work and there are enough of them that they will last me a few weeks.

I'm obsessed with Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series but dissapointed with the last AB novel.

I've been trying to branch out and read not only fantasy fiction but some other stuff as well so if anyone has recommendations for books that I should check out, let me know. I usually only get to read while at work but I can get in some during naptime.

Advertisement

Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
bethsflutterby
Just a sinner saved by grace.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

heya fellow book lovers

I have already read the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Twilight series, Sookie Stackhouse series, Dark Hunter (1-5) novels by Sherilyn Kenyon...I didn't care for the first Dream Hunter novel...so I haven't read any more of those. I've read the first 7 Anita Blake novels, but hated the last one i read so I got rid of those and won't pick them up again! I've read all the Stephanie Plum novels except the newest one! (DYING to read it!) Didn't care for the "in between the Numbers" novels though!

Ummm...I *just* finished reading the first Outlander Book! It was really good!!! I'm waiting for book 2 to come in the mail!
I'm also reading the Highlander Novels I'm waiting for books 2-3 to come in from paperbackswap! LOVE these books so far!!!

I have read TONS of historical Romance novels!!

Lets see....my DS is currently reading InkHeart and then going to read InkSpell...big books but he's and avid reader and reads a few grade levels ahead.

My DH is currently reading Behold a Pale Horse by William Cooper.
David(11)Lolly(9)Maddy(7 on 8/25!)Yuyi(5.6) & Ana(4)

bethsflutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #23
jmrw2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but I'd love to join if I could I used to be a huge reader, but it's tapered off a lot since I had my YDS. At the moment though I'm reading "Boundaries in Dating" I'm happily married, but I have a lot of friends that are in the dating phase in life and I was looking for a book I could recommend. So far (I'm 2 chapters in) it is really really good. I'm wishing I'd read it back when DH and I were dating. I think it would have been good for our relationship.
jmrw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #24
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrahsmommy View Post
Hi- I'm Lacee...and I like to read.

I've been listening to the Dark Series (I've posted about it before in off topic) at work and there are enough of them that they will last me a few weeks.

I'm obsessed with Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series but dissapointed with the last AB novel.

I've been trying to branch out and read not only fantasy fiction but some other stuff as well so if anyone has recommendations for books that I should check out, let me know. I usually only get to read while at work but I can get in some during naptime.
Hey Lacee! I don't think I know of that series yet - I'll have to check it out! I like series with a good handful of books so that I know I'll be entertained for a while.

Ah, I did the same thing! I was stuck on only horror and only Dean Koontz. Then, I found everything else and am so in love with genres I never thought I'd ever like.

Oh man, where to start...

historical fiction:
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Day After Night by Anita Diamant
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

series:
Three Sisters Island trilogy by Nora Roberts
Black Daggar Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward
Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

memoirs:
Drinking the Rain by Alix Kates Shulman
A Trip to the Beach by Melinda & Richard Blanchard
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

for fun:
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
Remembering Blue by Connie May Fowler
Bull's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank
The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan

classics:
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Uh...I'll stop now!

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsflutterby View Post
heya fellow book lovers

I have already read the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Twilight series, Sookie Stackhouse series, Dark Hunter (1-5) novels by Sherilyn Kenyon...I didn't care for the first Dream Hunter novel...so I haven't read any more of those. I've read the first 7 Anita Blake novels, but hated the last one i read so I got rid of those and won't pick them up again! I've read all the Stephanie Plum novels except the newest one! (DYING to read it!) Didn't care for the "in between the Numbers" novels though!

Ummm...I *just* finished reading the first Outlander Book! It was really good!!! I'm waiting for book 2 to come in the mail!
I'm also reading the Highlander Novels I'm waiting for books 2-3 to come in from paperbackswap! LOVE these books so far!!!

I have read TONS of historical Romance novels!!

Lets see....my DS is currently reading InkHeart and then going to read InkSpell...big books but he's and avid reader and reads a few grade levels ahead.

My DH is currently reading Behold a Pale Horse by William Cooper.
Wow, lots of stuff to look into - thanks! How did you like the Sookie books? I loved the first two and then the 3rd and 4th one left me disappointed. I'm planning on picking the 5th one up after I'm done with my current two I'm reading and was hoping they get better. I was disappointed with the change in Bill (trying not to give anything away for others). So did you find the transition from book 2 to 3 & 4 odd? And did the series continue to rock?

eta: OH! And I have the Outlander books (well the first 4) and I haven't started that series yet but I'm DYING to! I can't decide when to start them! I should just do it asap before I get hit by a bus and never have the chance! I just know I'm going to love them, so I've been saving them to savor for who knows when. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrw2 View Post
I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but I'd love to join if I could I used to be a huge reader, but it's tapered off a lot since I had my YDS. At the moment though I'm reading "Boundaries in Dating" I'm happily married, but I have a lot of friends that are in the dating phase in life and I was looking for a book I could recommend. So far (I'm 2 chapters in) it is really really good. I'm wishing I'd read it back when DH and I were dating. I think it would have been good for our relationship.
Ooh, that is something I'm going to recommend to my girlfriend to maybe look into. She's not much of a reader (the HORROR!! ) but it's right up her alley right now.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 09-10-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #26
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I want to join!!! I love reading. Love. My aunt and uncle still tease me because they took me to a used book store once when I was 12 and I found two books I wanted but I only wanted to spend the money on one. So I sat down and read the other one in the store while they browsed. (Took me about a half hour)

I don't have nearly as much time for it now since the baby doesn't like to let me sit much and if DD sees me reading she insists that I need to read one of HER books to her. I still read whenever I can steal the time though!

Right now I'm re-reading The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. There was a DS thread about it the other day and it reminded me that I wanted to read it again (for the 12th time or so). Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessaroni View Post
Hello. I like to read

I just forced myself to close the book I am reading so I don't get too grumpy with the kids tomorrow. I'm on the second book of the Hunger Games series. It is called 'Catching Fire'. Good stuff and it has probably already been discussed.

I rebelled against the Harry Potter books for a while too because I hated fantasy. Now it is one of my favourite genres
I LOVE the Hunger Games books. I just re-read Catching Fire a week or so ago. I have Mockingjay on hold at my local library. They take forever to get new books though so it's "on order" and who knows when it will get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post

I have enjoyed a bunch of the paranormal stuff coming out. The one that comes to mind right now is Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. Also some stuff by Charlie Huston.
My DH and I are huge Jim Butcher fans! DH's favorite is the Dresden series. I love the Dresden books, but I liked his Codex Alera series better - I was so frustrated that it got tied up so neatly at the end of First Lord's Fury. I wanted more books!

I've read the Twilight series and found it . . . entertaining. They were an easy read and I enjoyed the basic story - but they were by NO means the "amazing" books that people claim they are. And the movies were .
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #27
bethsflutterby
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

oooh and I also love me some Dean Koontz novels! Reading his novel "The Husband" was one of the FIRST novels I read that wasn't a historical romance novel.

I really enjoyed his Frakenstein trilogy

Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #28
bethsflutterby
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
Wow, lots of stuff to look into - thanks! How did you like the Sookie books? I loved the first two and then the 3rd and 4th one left me disappointed. I'm planning on picking the 5th one up after I'm done with my current two I'm reading and was hoping they get better. I was disappointed with the change in Bill (trying not to give anything away for others). So did you find the transition from book 2 to 3 & 4 odd? And did the series continue to rock?

eta: OH! And I have the Outlander books (well the first 4) and I haven't started that series yet but I'm DYING to! I can't decide when to start them! I should just do it asap before I get hit by a bus and never have the chance! I just know I'm going to love them, so I've been saving them to savor for who knows when. LOL!
I really enjoyed the Sookie novels...until the very newest one...THEN I was disappointed.

I LOVED Outlander book #1 and have book #3 already...just waiting (VERY impatiently) for book #2 to arrive.

& I read like book 5 on accident in the Highlander Series and was HOOKED. Book #1 was AWESOME too

Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #29
logansmom15
Registered Users
seller

I want to join in! I'm Jessica and I love reading, but have not been doing much for the last couple years. Just a couple days ago my sister gave me a Judy Blume book called Wifey.
I will just start a goal of one book, but hopefully will read this one and then I want to read the fountainhead again.
I am excited to get some good suggestions from everyone
logansmom15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #30
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love to read although don't get much done these days. I'm hoping this thread will spark some new interests! I'll mostly be lurking probably, but will recommend when/if I can. Thanks ladies. Lori

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote