Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
allisoninfl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
air travel with 17mo -- what do I need to know?

So we are flying out to TX at the end of the month to see DH's family. I am trying to prepare for flying with a toddler. The flight should be about 2 1/2 hours. I'm trying to think of some quiet activities I can bring for DD to play with, and some snacks, but basically I'm looking for some advice.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: air travel with 17mo -- what do I need to know?

Will she have her own seat? Its MUCH easier at that age if they do. I usually bring our little video player, snacks like grapes, bunny crackers ( cheese/graham) The supre rare treat of a juice box. Stickers and a mini magnadoodle are big hits here right now. DS is also into small cars. The hard thing will be if she is a lap baby is you cant put the tray table down.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Stickers and playdoh!

Also, bring the carseat and install it on the plane, or if you are not buying a seat, then gate check it. Dont check it as baggage!
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Bring your stroller and gate check it. I rode it right up the jetway and the flight attendant took it, and it was waiting right when we got off the plane. A LOT easier. We didn't get her own seat, but she did really well. I flew by myself to meet my husband in New Orleans and we switched planes and the stroller helped immensely. We had a bag packed with everything new. iPod with earbuds (i had to hold them in most of the time) with videos, stamps with a notebook, and new doll with a brush, magnet board book, just little stuff and dollar stuff I picked up the month before when I saw it. Anything novel should work well!
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
allisoninfl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips!

The stickers are a great idea. She's never played with them before, and it'll be something new and exciting. I was also thinking of getting a magnadoodle. She is sitting in one of our laps (mine or DH's), and we'll have a row to ourselves.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
angelisagemini
Registered Users

My Mood:

Things that keep my sanity on flights short and long.

Dvd player
Juice box.
Treat food, nothing that can end up crushed all over us or the seats or the floor. Usually raisins or fruit snacks.
Color wonder markers
Mini magnadoodle
post its
binkie (I usually put one in each bag we bring on the plane as well as one in my pocket).
Books.

That's it really. DS has always flown really well.

Good luck!
angelisagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

I once read that a new toy or activity for every 10 minutes of the flight. My dd has always been really good on flights, I have lost count how many times we have flown, 20 times maybe. The DVD player is a life saver but so heavy! She loved taking everything out of the seat pocket, that occupied her for an entire flight once For me, I would NEVER take a stroller. I toss my dd in the beco and I can I can fly through security faster. Some TSA employees make me take her out, others to do not. But pack SUPER smart, seperate all your liquids up front, wear clothing that will be easy to layer, shoes easy to walk in and get on/off. Those tips go for your lo as well, you have to remove their shoes and they may get hot as well. I find that when I travel with my dd I am super hot from holding her all the time. I praticlly travel naked I also would avoid the change table in the planes bathroom. It is super tiny and my dd FREAKED out when I did that once. Unless she is leaking poop, we wait. When she was smaller I would change her on my lap. Good luck and remember it is only 2 1/2 hours and it will be over before you know it
CarolinaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would ask for a seat in bulk head. I always did that when flying with DS (especially international), so I could put him down on the floor to play. I would put one of those thin airline blankets down, and let him sit there during the flight.

Have you ever given lollipops? Maybe have a couple on hand for landing and take-off.

Do you have iPod touch or something like it? I convert movies like Signing Times and Cars and put them on there for my kiddos to watch. I have a splitter for earbuds so they an each have a pair and not fight over them. This way I don't have to carry the portable DVD player and DVDs with us.

I agree with the advice to 'pack smart'. The quicker you can get through security, the easier it will be. TSA never seems to be helpful or overly friendly to families. They were nicer to my dad in a wheelchair than they were to me with my baby, carseat, and one carry-on. I have a travel bag for my carseat (with wheels), but really I should have just gotten one of those cheap folding carts from Walmart and used a bungy cord. It folds smaller, moves easier, and takes less time at security.

Have a great flight!