Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What are the funniest old wives tales/pregnancy craziness that you've heard?

First of all, i love my mom, and have no problem with her telling me these things because it is always just funny for me to hear--we have a relationship where i can laugh at these kindw of things, and she just keeps believing them. My mom is FULL of old wives tales and believes every one of them. I wanted to share some of the jewels shes told me over the last months and years, just because i get such a giggle from her beliefs. she recently told me not to vacuum with her Kirby vacuum (very heavy) because it would "throw me straight into labor". Driving a standard transmission car will do that too. So will using an old-fashioned sewing machine treadle. I'm thinking that after next week I might find a way to do all of these things, just in case she's right

Also, a few days after my 20 week u/s in which she clearly saw a scrotum and penis, she said, "you're eating another ORANGE!? That isn't a boy, it has to be a girl. I only had girls and ate oranges all the time!". Sounds like a joke, it wasn't. She was nervous about buying blue.

What are the craziest, funniest things you have been told?

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
BETTYBLUE27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are the funniest old wives tales/pregnancy craziness that you've heard?

My great grams is a crazy old cuban lady who told me "not to cross my arms over my belly because it would tangle the cord"!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are the funniest old wives tales/pregnancy craziness that you've heard?

Interesting, I always heard it was lifting your hands over your head that would wrap baby in the cord.

Women in the past were prisoners in their pregnant bodies!!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That hairy babies cause heartburn. That boys cause worse nausea .

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that depending where the baby sits means boy or girl
i hated having my bump examined.
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

That craving sweets=girl. I had a girl and all I wanted to eat was steak, pizza rolls, & Mexican food.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethan_77 View Post

Also, a few days after my 20 week u/s in which she clearly saw a scrotum and penis, she said, "you're eating another ORANGE!? That isn't a boy, it has to be a girl. I only had girls and ate oranges all the time!". Sounds like a joke, it wasn't. She was nervous about buying blue.

What are the craziest, funniest things you have been told?
This is funny. My sister has 3 boys and craved oranges like crazy! When I was eating oranges and hamburgers she was sure it was a boy (it's a girl).
katiegud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKylie View Post
That hairy babies cause heartburn. That boys cause worse nausea .
That one is actually true, except it's that heartburn means you will have a baby with hair on its head. A study was done by Johns Hopkins University that proved a link be there, that the same hormones that cause hair growth in babies cause heartburn in the mothers.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirljennie View Post
That one is actually true, except it's that heartburn means you will have a baby with hair on its head. A study was done by Johns Hopkins University that proved a link be there, that the same hormones that cause hair growth in babies cause heartburn in the mothers.
Weird. I did mean hair on the head That study only had 68 women though. ETA not that it isn't accurate, it does seem convincing but I'd like to see a larger study! And couldn't there be more than hair that could correlate the two? (thinking mostly to myself here haha)

K R M

Last edited by MyKylie; 09-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure there could be... I think it's mostly they did the study small scale, expecting the wive's tale to be completely bunked, and were surprised that it was leaning towards it being true! It's actually been true in my case