Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How old was your EBF baby the first time you left him/her?

My daughter will be a little over 3 months old on my birthday (3 weeks from now) and my husband and I are planning on going to a quick dinner. I asked my mom to come watch her just for a couple hours. She will not take a pacifier or a bottle for me or anyone else so I'm not sure how this is going to work out.

How old was your EBF baby the first time you left her/him and how did it work out? How long were you gone from the baby?

Advertisement

L♥VING MY WAHM PRODUCTS I FOUND HERE ON DIAPERSWAPPERS!! Homemade natural bath/skin products & candles from Alexanders Additions http://www.alexandersadditions.com/ and MAMA CLOTH great prices, amazing well made pads and she does custom work too visit The Silver Liner here.. http://hyenacart.com/stores/TheSilverLiner/
wildsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old was your EBF baby the first time you left him/her?

My first was 7wks old and I left him with dad and a bottle to go to the eye dr.

My first set of twins, I don't remember, but I'm sure it was before 7wks or around then.

This set of twins, it was right away due to circumstances. One was in the NICU for 11 days and the other came home with me. So, obviously, I left the one in the NICU the moment he was born and actually, he wasn't EBF'd because of it, but did get almost all pumped milk. He latches just fine and has been EBF'd since. His twin brother was left every time I had to go to the hospital to see the NICU baby since the twin at home wasn't allowed in the NICU with me. So, he was a few days old. I left him with dad or my mom and a bottle of pumped milk.

All went fine. None of my kids have ever had issues taking bottles. However, with this set of twins, I tried very hard to get out and back home before the baby at home needed to nurse again. I didn't want him getting bottles very often and I didn't have ton of pumped milk since I was already nursing one and pumping for the other.

If your baby won't take a bottle, I'd just try to make it a short trip out. That way baby won't need to eat. But, I would definitely go and enjoy yourself. Not everyone does that this early though. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Both of mine turned out to be the same circumstance - about 6 weeks old, left with my DH, so I could go to the dentist. I was gone for about 2 hours. I left 2 oz of pumped milk. My first didn't take it and screamed. My second didn't need it and mostly slept through my absence.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
happymamamia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Still haven't parted with my LO. 9 months and counting! He usually attends date night, lol.
happymamamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine was 3 months old and we left him overnight with my sister in law. I had a really rough pregnancy and ended up with a second c-section and was an emotional/exhausted wreck so my DH planned a very quick overnight to NYC. He was taking a bottle at the time and did absolutely fine - drank about 28oz!

I have been blessed to have great sleepers as well as wonderful extended family who care for them exactly how I would so while I missed him, I did not doubt that he was getting loved on and held the whole time.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

We went to dinner at 6 weeks with my first, I fed her right before I left, and she was ready to eat again when we got home. It went ok, she slept the whole time I think! She's never been left with a sitter though, only my parents. I didn't leave her overnight until a month ago when I had to stay at the hospital after having my second!! She's apparently still traumatized as she's still talking about it...
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine was about 2.5 months old and I left him with DH for probably 4 hours. DH fed him a bottle or two of EBM and it went great.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that she was about 5-6 weeks when we started making it a routine a couple nights a week I'd leave her with H during a hungry period so she could 'practice' with the bottle for when I went to work. I went up the street to B&N and sat in their cafe reading/crying for an hour.

For a true leaving her, she was probably 8 weeks when H and I went out for dinner and she stayed with my parents. After that we left her pretty regularly for an hour here and there.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
llwehr
Registered Users

We just left dd for the first time last week while we went to a going-away dinner. My dd will be 5 months old this week.

It didn't go so well - my dd is not crazy about bottles! We'll have to practice more with her.

We probably would have tried leaving her sooner, but I have a 3.5 year boy and 2.5 year boy, also. It's hard to find a good, brave babysitter for my crew!
llwehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
ctrsara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Left her for abouut 45 minutes when she was only 3-4 weeks old with MIL then DH (family doesn't live close to us, or it would be more often). Just left her for the first time with non-family (at almost 3 months) with a trusted friend and 4 oz of expressed milk so we could have a date night. Worried about her maybe not taking the bottle (she hadn't had one for 5-6 weeks) but she guzzled it down...