Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Umbilical Hernia?

Jack has this and it is apparently common in preemies. It seems like it is getting larger but I saw the ped on Monday and he said not to worry about it. If your preemie had one, when did it start to go away?

I'm so tired of hearing about how important a birth is. It is absolutely nothing more than an obstacle between a family and a baby.
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Umbilical Hernia?

My DD had one and I didn't even know it until her 2 year checkup. Apparently they usually heal on their own by then, so her ped said if it was still there at the 3 year they'd have to surgically correct it.
Married to DH, SAHM to DD (3/26/08), CDing, BFing, co-sleeping (for now) with DS born 1/8/11!
NewCDerInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Registered Users

my 31 weeker had one and my mother-in-law's newest baby had one as well ( he was 36 weeks but low birth weight) My dd had a huge one, our doc told us as long as we could still poke it back in that it was fine and to only come in if it turned really red like an infection or something. DD is 3 1/2 now and it is gone but she does have an outie lol Its mainly just where the abdomen muscles aren't as tight and close together.
Jocey'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Registered Users

My DD (26 wkr) had it too, and it was definitely HUGE on her tiny belly. It was at it's largest when she was about 4 months old, and was gone by the time she was 8 months old. Like Jocey'sMommy said, as long as it stays soft and doesn't turn colors (dark or red), it won't cause any problems.
sponnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Users

My DS (now 8 1/2) had an umbilical hernia. It went away before he turned 1. That said, he still has an outie belly button, but it no longer pops out the way it did (does that make sense?) Our Ped told me it was cosmetic, and we could have it corrected, but not until he was older (3-4). It was gone long before then, though.
Sarah, Mom to 3 great kids
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Both of my kids had one. DD had to have hers surgically corrected at 13 months. Hers was HUGE. DS's healed on it's own by 3 months (his was very small).

ETA: Just noticed this was preemies, mine were not, just saw the thread on New Posts.
Mom to R (2008) L (2009) J (2010) and F (2012)
My Mommy Blog Nursing Giveaway Going On NOW!
Find Me On Facebook and Twitter
AmandaR is offline   Reply With Quote