Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you see this...

Too bad there wasn't a breastfeeding powered onesie. I would buy it.

Advertisement

misscrazO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hopefully they'll make a BFing one thanks to the negative reviews. I'd buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmum View Post
Ever wonder why some mamas are turned off by bf advocacy? It's because they're constantly hearing women like those telling them what they're doing is disgusting, horrible, nothing they should be proud of, unhealthy, etc etc. Seems pretty crazy to get so worked up over a onesie. They need to grow up.
And Breastfeeding Moms are constantly getting all the above and being kicked out of places.

It is a never ending cycle. And it isn't a small group of people (on either side!), there have been news stories on FFing vs BFing, articles, etc.

Last edited by Calideedle; 09-17-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
brewanothercup
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't mind the shirt as much if 1.) they had a BF option too and 2.) they didn't sell nursing gear. I dunno why. Plus, it just seems kind of like a dumb onsie to me IMO.

It's funny though, because the first dozen or so comments that I saw were moms who said things like, "Finally, support for us formula feeders who are never allowed to do anything and always chastised!"
brewanothercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not overly offended, but I think that it's kind of stupid, honestly. Even if I did FF (and I have no problem with those who do ) I wouldn't buy it. It would be a lot cuter if it said "milk powered" or something like that. IDK, I would think ON would have been smarter about the whole BF/FF debate, but it's not like I have to put it on my son or anything. *shrug*

I would be ALL OVER a "booby powered" onesie!!! Hmm, wander if I can find a WAHM to make one...

Last edited by sisu; 09-17-2010 at 11:55 AM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
lilpearlgirl7
Registered Users

I have to say that all my kids thus far were formula feed. I am not by any means proud of that and that being said, I would have NEVER bought a shirt like this.
lilpearlgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
purpledayz
Registered Users

Powered by milk or something like that would have made more sense. Or 'Powered by' with just the bottle picture. Formula is a dumb name for food and most people just say bottle.

I'm not sure why you would want to advertise formula eating as something special since it's what most people do. There isn't need to advocate for it. It'd be a bit like wearing a shirt that says 'I eat meat' or 'I drive to work'
Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #17
purpledayz
Registered Users

I can see a lot of people who haven't reasearched BM liking this shirt. They probably think it's a good way to tell their _____ (aunt, sister, friend) that formula is easier and just as good as BM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #18
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is just a shirt there are tons of pro breast feeding shirts out there in other stores- the shirts at old navy have always had some stupid thing or another on them- I won't stop shopping there over a shirt- that would be like not shopping at walmart because I don't like the mountain dew underwear they have hanging out hoping grown men will buy them.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxynursejo View Post
I personally see that it's just a shirt and it's not saying " dont breastfeed" but I also wish that breastfeeding were seen as more 'normal'.
Me too.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
mc_squared
Registered Users

I think the real issue is that it's about more than just this shirt. Everywhere you look, babies are depicted as being bottle-fed or bottles are used as the quintessential item signifying babyhood. Every book you find about a "new baby brother/sister" shows the baby being bottle-fed, every baby shower party decoration, gift bag, wrapping paper, etc. features a bottle. Is it because most of the population formula feeds, and they're just trying to appeal to the largest percentage of them? Perhaps. Or, perhaps they are just playing into our societal norm of not giving moms any type of inclination that they should feel guilty about not breastfeeding. Unfortunately, this has backfired so completely that bottle-feeding has now been normalized. It's a shame that people on both sides of the fence feel victimized by the other side.

Alas, I have no idea what ON was thinking when they produced this and why they only chose to depict one method of infant feeding, but I am sure it is for the same reasons that bottle feeding is always depicted as the norm. As a breastfeeding mom, I have no idea why formula feeders complain so much about being judged for their choice; they are apparently in the majority and our society apparently supports formula feeding more than breastfeeding.
mc_squared is offline   Reply With Quote