Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #21
princemelissas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's a special day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsflutterby View Post
I did miss the discussion...I'll have to read back.

I called the school and told them NOT to allow them to buy breakfast but IDK how effective that would be. I also told the boys they weren't allowed to get breakfast because they eat before they leave the house. I *think* they got the point (maybe) lol

I also am going to have a discussion w/ Jahiem's teacher....he is in Mrs. Sullivan's class and it is a regular 2nd grade class....the lady in the office told me it was up to his last school whether to pass him or not if he did poorly in 1st grade. BUT if he continues to do poorly should he go back to 1st grade? should I just really take a bunch of time working w/him at night? it is obvious he doesn't grasp basic phonics. it is SO frustrating!

thanks. I'm not sure how to figure it out...but she grabs/colors equally w/ either hand...so IDK...she cannot write AT ALL and coloring seems to be a challenge for her. period. atleast she is learning her colors/shapes/and how to count to 5 with me....progress is progress, right?
on Jahiem- I don't think you have the extra time to school him in the evenings too, it's really up to the school to come up with a solution. If he's not grasping basic concepts, pushing him through the system is not in his benefit at all. He may need some one-on-one tutoring with someone while at school.

on Elizabeth- I don't understand how she doesn't know colors/shapes/counting it's not really even something you "teach" kwim? It's something that is picked up form life. I feel bad for her, it's like no one has talked to her for the last 4 years.

Advertisement

princemelissas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #22
mamaBex
Registered Users

My Mood:

Peggy -some kids remain ambidextrous until they are five or six. You don't have to force it -just encourage her to colour and write and she will gradually show preference herself. Handedness is largely genetic -if her parents are both righties, chances are she will be too in the end.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #23
princemelissas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaBex View Post

I have a different perspective on this because I was naturally a lefty, but the school made me switch. I couldn't hold my pencil properly with my right hand, so I had to use these special pencil grips and the teachers would watch me like a hawk -to this day I have the most messed-up handwriting grip, and I hook my hand around and smear my writing. So I think you can't fight nature
I was thinking the same thing.

sorry about the traveling/moving
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #24
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on Malcolm crawling There's no stopping him now mama!!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #25
princemelissas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I saw a license plate on a truck yesterday that said "INTACK" what would you think that means? I could only think of one thing
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #26
bethsflutterby
Just a sinner saved by grace.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemelissas View Post
on Jahiem- I don't think you have the extra time to school him in the evenings too, it's really up to the school to come up with a solution. If he's not grasping basic concepts, pushing him through the system is not in his benefit at all. He may need some one-on-one tutoring with someone while at school.

on Elizabeth- I don't understand how she doesn't know colors/shapes/counting it's not really even something you "teach" kwim? It's something that is picked up form life. I feel bad for her, it's like no one has talked to her for the last 4 years.
I know...this is what I was telling Omar...I don't really have the time to work one-on-one w/ Jahiem like he needs....I'm going to set up an appointment w/ his teacher though.

&&& EXACTLY!!! I never "taught" my kids how to hold a crayon or pencil! && why doesn't she know colors from regular kid's shows?? she didn't even know to START w/ the number 1 in counting....I've been trying to get her to count 1...2....3 and it took me a WHILE to get her to be able to count to 3! I have never felt such frustration and sadness in dealing with little ones even Analise can count to 10 and I've never taught her!
David(11)Lolly(9)Maddy(7 on 8/25!)Yuyi(5.6) & Ana(4)

bethsflutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #27
princemelissas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's sad Peggy, who took care of her during the day when bio mom had custody?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #28
bethsflutterby
Just a sinner saved by grace.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Peggy -some kids remain ambidextrous until they are five or six. You don't have to force it -just encourage her to colour and write and she will gradually show preference herself. Handedness is largely genetic -if her parents are both righties, chances are she will be too in the end.
ok...I've kinda slacked off on her and just let her "color" however is easy for her...but she will need to learn how to grip the pencil correctly.

Omar & I are both righties but 2 of my 5 children are VERY left handed...of course Omar's mom & dad & abuelita are lefties as is my Grandma.

Omar also bats with his left
David(11)Lolly(9)Maddy(7 on 8/25!)Yuyi(5.6) & Ana(4)

bethsflutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #29
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsflutterby View Post
I did miss the discussion...I'll have to read back.

I called the school and told them NOT to allow them to buy breakfast but IDK how effective that would be. I also told the boys they weren't allowed to get breakfast because they eat before they leave the house. I *think* they got the point (maybe) lol

I also am going to have a discussion w/ Jahiem's teacher....he is in Mrs. Sullivan's class and it is a regular 2nd grade class....the lady in the office told me it was up to his last school whether to pass him or not if he did poorly in 1st grade. BUT if he continues to do poorly should he go back to 1st grade? should I just really take a bunch of time working w/him at night? it is obvious he doesn't grasp basic phonics. it is SO frustrating!

thanks. I'm not sure how to figure it out...but she grabs/colors equally w/ either hand...so IDK...she cannot write AT ALL and coloring seems to be a challenge for her. period. atleast she is learning her colors/shapes/and how to count to 5 with me....progress is progress, right?
We had to make this decision with Shannon last year....IDK if your remember. We did it and explained it wasn't a punishment but it was the best thing for her because would get time to practice the things that were difficult for her and then she would get better at her work an be able to keep up with her class mates. She wasn't sad or bullied by the kids in the new first grade class.....Her report card from the repeat class was much better than the previous one.

Quote:

Big news here -Malcolm is finally crawling!!!! He was so cautious about it, but he's pretty good now.
go Malcolm!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #30
princemelissas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

alright, I'm off. need to run to the bank then maybe to the library BBL