View Poll Results: Can Laney be a first name?
Yes 68 93.15%
No 5 6.85%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: New Name Dilemma

My daughter is Lexi.... I liked Alexis, Alexia, etc. But figured all through life everyone will call her Lexi anyways. I say just name her what you want to call her. I honestly don't understand naming a baby something that your never going to call him/her.

Advertisement

S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our first born is Nikolas James and we have always called him Kole. When I was pregnant and people asked his name I would say Kole. When I introduce him to people I call him Kole. On his birth announcement we put Nikolas 'KOLE' James Lastname
Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
PiecesOfKate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the birth announcement. That is a good way to go about it. I realize the name thing is only a small issue and the real issue is my MIL. The name issue just has a much easier solution I will talk to DH and see what he thinks too.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's cute. I would just say, if you want to name her Elaina, and call her Laney, just do it. If you do end up just naming her Laney, then think about her as an adult and if she'd like being Laney (a very CUTE name for a baby girl - how does it sound if she becomes a lawyer or doctor, KWIM?) - I personally think Laney is very cute, but a bit little girl-ish, and she may appreciate having a more "grown up" name to use when she's older. I liked the name Molly, but dh saw it as too babyish, so we nixed it. Anyway, just food for thought!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD2s name is Laina Beth, we call her Lanie a lot. We wanted to call DD2 Lanie, so we looked for all the Alaina, Elaina, ect., but we jsut really couldn't decide on one. MIL said Why not just call her Laina? So that was it! We love it! If you like the name Laney, then name her that! We don't regret our decision at all, I still love the name and it fits her perfectly!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I have family like your MIL. When our oldest was born, we were very stern in the fact that our son is Andrew, not Drew and NOT Andy. Well, GMIL couldn't help herself and kept insisting on calling him Andy. We would tell her "His name is Andrew, not Andy." and she eventually got it. If you call him anything other than Andrew, he will even tell you that his name is Andrew, not whatever else. LOL. He's 5 now, though. We put our foot down and corrected her any time she said it. When we talked about baby names, family always had an opinion. After our first, we decided to not share names anymore. They will find out the name after the child is born. Worked great the second time around and we are going to do the same thing this time. I don't care to hear their opinions. It's not their child and they are NOT naming it
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

I love the name Laney (I have a Laney lol) we actually considered naming her just Laney but in honor of our grammas she's named Helana Marjorie... after grammas Helen and Marjorie. I like that she has honors the grammas and I also like that it gives her the option to go with whatever she'd like when she's older.

When we sent announcements (I wish I had a copy on the computer cause they were sooooo cute) it said her full birth name and in the upper right corner in a different font said "Laney"

When ppl ask her name I say it's "Laney" but of course at the doctors office and likely school eventually they say "Helana" I generally say "we call her Laney" Anyway my point is you do what works for you
Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
luckymum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerie23 View Post
I think Laney is a very cute name.
this
Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
Sabra
Registered Users

You live in the south, you can get away with it. Honestly, I see Elaina and Laney makes a lot more sense as a nickname than does Ellie. Then again, my name is Sabra & I still wound up with Ellie as a nickname, so there you go.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I knew a girl named Laney and read a book once where that was the main character's name. Or maybe the book character was namd Lacey. But I definitely knew a girl once named Laney, and think it's a very nice name.
aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote