Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question My 13 month old-I am concerned

Says mom, mommy, dada very consistently. I am concerned because she learns a new word, says it for a few days and then stops. She said the word no for a couple weeks then it stopped. She said baby a couple times then it stopped. She said cheese twice then never again and same with a couple other words. I have noticed though that she babbles alot...maybe she is trying to say words and I am just not understanding Should I do anything about this?

Advertisement

Last edited by ashleynjacy; 03-04-2007 at 05:21 PM.
ashleynjacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: My 13 month old-I am concerned

i think she is just fine...joe is almost 14moths and not really talking at all! i just attribute it to the older brothers who seem to KNOW what he wants when he is babbling/screaming.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is my first
Old 03-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Are you perhaps doing sign language with her as well? Kids who use signs often speak later because they don't need to so they will wait until they can say more. Or do you stick to a very predictable schedule so her needs are met right away as soon as you anticipate them so there is no need for her to tell you again? I wouldn't worry too much yet but if it does bug you, ask your pediatrician about it. I think she is still awfully young to worry about it.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not worry at all. Kids at that age are just trying to learn so much once they accomplish something they move on to focusing on another new thing. One day she will probably surprise you with a whole sentance. BTW I have a 15 month old who rarely speaks more than Mama and Dada and BA(the dog). Just be patient the first child is always the hardest but be patient she is most likely fine if she is saying any words.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL, I was worried about the same thing w/ my son when he was that age. He would say something once then not again, it was so weird. But apparently normal as he is an almost 4 year old who has aced all his recent intellegence tests. Due to his hydrocephalus he was tested through the birth-to-three program.

Ali

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
chrisandjames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry She may really be focusing her attention to new things like learning to walk, or climbing stairs, or a million other things right now. I bet those words will come back eventually, along with plenty of others.

My son signs, but I personally do not think that this slowed his speaking at all. He often says the word while he is signing it. IMHO it has helped me to de-code a lot of his "words". Like if I only heard him say "Heaw" I might not know it, but he signs for HELP at the same time that he says it and get it right away.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter would rather make animal sounds than say words. She does talk (mama, dada, ball, boon for ballon, hot, ice, 'ood' for cold). Her favorite words though are woof, baa, moo and 'sssss' for a snake. Go figure. We don't live on a farm either. She just likes making those sounds.

I think the other posters are correct. They learn so much at this age (my dd is also 13 months) that it is hard to keep up with everything. I am shocked at how much she understands.

I can tell her to bring me a specific toy or even a specific book and she can differienate which item to bring me over other similiar items. It is amazine.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
jodi74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was worried about this exact thing last week. My little guy's first word was ma-ma. Then he started saying da-da and he quit saying ma-ma. For over a month it was that way. I would try and try to get him to say it. Then two days ago he started saying it again. Whenever he can't see me and wants me to get him he will SCREAM ma-ma. I love it. Maybe they just need to concentrate on one word at a time until they got it down good?
jodi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

my daughter said her first words when she was 8 months old and has not used them a whole lot since. She is also 14 months old. We just started signs since it doesn't look like she will want to talk soon.

To the pp, I've read that signs don't slow the speech process. You've read different?
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote