Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 13 month old-I am concerned

we don't do signs. i do meet her needs so fast though, as in I know exactly what she wants and needs and I JUMP to them. I don't know

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Hitchkids
Registered Users

With my kids who have done lots of signs (some of them picked them up quickly and soon had a huge sign vocabulary, others just picked up the basics like more, milk, eat, etc) they didn't talk as much quickly but when they did start it was in sentences overnight. So it's based on our personal experience as well as reading that for some kids, if they have a second way to communicate, they may not speak as quickly. Either way, I think a lot depends on the child too.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it either. I noticed with my dd and my cousin that they would do the same thing....but then a few months later they would use that word(s) as if they were using it all along. It's almost like they learn it, say it...and then store it away for future use.
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i wouldnt meet her needs and try to see if she would ask though.
its diff for me cuz david didnt talk at all. he said one word :agua when he was 12mo and then never again said it. he dditn say a thing til around 2.5yrs, but i know my son has speech delays though so he is different
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry if she is babbling, my son barely spoke until the age of 20 monthes.He had tubes put in for the 2nd time at that age and we don't believe he could hear well until then.He started to talk and babble some but at 2 1/2 he began speech therapy which is doing wonders.Give her some more time, i'll bet she's fine.
paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
KisaMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is she whining to get something?
I taught DS how to sign 'more' when he wanted something when he wasn't yet talking enough. He would not get anything with whining or screeching at it.. he HAD to sign more.. I know limited signs.. so I couldnt teach him please.. but i could teach him more and that worked fine.

Now however, he knows how to say please and more (he's 20.. he's known this for awhile but when he was learning to master the stairs here he stopped trying to walk and learn how to talk.. heh.. but that was months ago mind you).. So, still no whining to get what he wants. I either need to hear please, or more.. or he needs to sign more if he's so frustrated he cant get out words and just wants to screech/whine.

I worried alot more with my second than my 1st.. my 1st started talking around 8m.. and hasn't really stopped talking (she talks and talks yer ear off!) since then..
My second and third are both pretty slow at talking.. and walking to boot! but I know they'll get there.. Just today Varrus (3rd) was calling up the stairs "Gurs!! Gurs!!" Because I was trying to call the girs (two oldest children) downstairs for dinner buy going "girls!" ^_^

*hugs* try not to worry at all.
KisaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #17
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She walks, dances, and points to the book shelf when she wants me to read to her. I think because we are attached at the hip that maybe she has never really had to talk or let me know. If she crys for even half a second I pick her up, feed her whatever. I thought I was just being a caring mommy! lol
Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 AM   #18
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well my dd is almost 2.5 and rarely speaks a word. She says a few odd words like mama, dada, ice, duck....hmmm not much else. I'm not too worried about it though. My older dd was the same way. Annika babbles a TON and really tries to speak i think but it just hasn't 'clicked' for her yet. Her receptive language is great! You can tell her anything and she knows exactly what we want or are saying. So i wouldn't worry to much if i were you. 13mths is still pretty young.
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #19
Taylor
Registered

My 14 month old doesn't say anything that we can understand. Occasionally he'll say "itttty" (Kitty) and "dada" (Daddy), but that's it. It's still really early to be worried about anything, momma. I personally believe that children pick either vocalization or mobility and focus on that until they are capable of focusing on both at the same time. My son is extremely mobile, and very active.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #20
dingledine
Registered Users

Babies do that, they learn a new word and then they don't say it for a while, soemtimes they don't even say the word they learn right away, they just hold onto it for a week or two. Perfectly normal.
dingledine is offline   Reply With Quote