Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Popcorn: At what age do you allow your child to try it?

Ok so I got into a brawl the other night with my MIL about giving my 1 year old popcorn. We live with my inlaws so things like this tend to happen often.

I was headed out to feed our dogs (they eat outside) and my MIL offered to keep my DS with her since his cousin who is 1.5years old was over to play. This was fine with me so I went out to feed the dogs. When I came back in about 20 minutes later she had both kids downstairs watching a movie eating popcorn. My first concern was the popcorn, my DS only has 4 front teeth and I dont believe that popcorn is very safe to eat for him, I told her this and he response was, well his cousin is eating it just fine and he wanted some. Ok well his cousin has almost all her teeth, and of course he would want some he is 1!!! He wants to eat everything.

So I told her no popcorn for him, and she was so mad. I then proceded to ask why were propped in front of a movie, I for one dont like the idea of my 1 year old watching tv and she knows this. She said they liked it and where enjoying it together, so I let it drop this time cause I was already mad about the popcorn so didnt need something else building up as well.

So then I left them for 5 min to go do something and then I was going to sit down and watch the movie too, to my shock when I came back, my DS was no longer eating popcorn but she had given him a bowl of granola, like the hard in clusters kind, I was so upset, I just yelled at her, He cant eat that, he has no teeth to chew stuff like that!! so I took him to the back room with me and closed the door.

So I am just wondering at what age did you allow your children to start eating popcorn. and did I over react?

I feel like it has been so long since my MIL had children of this age she forgets what is age appropriate for them.

Any advice and help is appreciated

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

Re: Popcorn: At what age do you allow your child to try it?

No pun intended with that emoticon!

My DD is 18 months and has almost all her teeth but I still haven't given her popcorn. I'm curious about this as well because I was craving some the other day and didn't eat it because I knew she would want some too and I wasn't sure whether or not that was a good idea.
Sara - Wife to DH since 04 . Mom to DD (3/09) and expecting #2 (2/11) Also mom to 3 crazy mutts . It's a circus around here!
Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
KnitterBug Creations
TJsmommy is my *old* DS name
seller

My Mood:

I think MIL situations are tricky because on one hand you know whats best for your child, but on the other hand she's your mother in law and there is a respect that needs to be given. I think I would have had the same reaction to a 1 year old eating popcorn. I freaked out when a nursery worker last week gave my 7 month old cheerios. so I totally know where you are coming from. I think the granola thing was probably your MIL trying to get back at you for telling her she made a mistake. I would have been mad because she should have obviously asked.

as for the TV thing, personally I would just let it go. If its a special thing that grandma does witht he kids thats one thing. but if its a regular occurance then I wouldn't feel bad about saying something.

the popcorn though....REALLY?! who gives a 1 year old (with teeth or without) popcorn? tthat is a major choking hazard for little kids. DS didn't have popcorn till he was 3.
KnitterBug Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

My MIL does stuff like that all the time. Normally I'm around to stop her though. Like she'll want to give him something really crunchy or big HUGE pieces of something. It's so weird THEN after the fact go "is it ok for him to have" Which is weird because she's had two kids of her own and ran a daycare when they were little. I can't see really forgetting things like that or if I wasn't sure I'd be overly cautious and ask first.
When he was a little baby (she never tried it but I had to remind her so she wouldn't) not to give him honey, cow's milk or eggs! :headbang:
Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2.5yo loves popcorn! Airpopped with real butter melted on it, a dash of salt. He asks for it at least a few times a week for a bedtime snack. "Op-corn" he calls it.
I started allowing him to eat it this summer. I let daycare kids eat popcorn after they turn 3, with mom & dad's consent of course!

MIL's are interesting. It seems as if they push buttons on purpose sometimes. One of my daycare girls were visiting their grandma and while mom was in the bathroom(like 2 secs, right?) the grandma gave them each a spoonful of honey, when they were all of 6 weeks old!!!
Like she was trying to off them given 2 secs, or something!

You're the mom, end of story. Your rules 24/7. If she says something like "well, I raised X number of them and they didn't die." Tell her that she should go buy a lottery ticket because it's by shear chance that they lived!
I hate that excuse.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas, this just helps me feel like I am not crazy for saying no to popcorn. It is hard like PP said, I feel like I need to give MIL a certain amount of respect and trust, but then the one time I am not around supervising every moment with my DS she does something that she knows she should ask first or that she already knows I dont want being done. For some reason when she is with DS she has to feed him something or change his diaper, Uh I dont get it. LOL

I was thinking that 2.5-3 years was about when I would be ok with him having popcorn. You guys just helped me validate that. Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
jlcohen
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS was over the age of 2. DD was probably 20 months old the first time she had pop corn thanks to DS. They really don't eat it often and I usually pick out the pieces to avoid any that aren't popped all the way.

co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, extended rear-facing, cloth diapering, delayed vaccinating, part-time working mama of three sweet peas
jlcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 18month-old has some when his older Brother & Sister have it (watching a movie).

I do go through & only give him the soft pieces without the kernel.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son first had popcorn recently at about 2.5 years old and I was handing him he pieces making sure they weren't too hard. He's only had it once.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

he had it at about 2.5 under very close supervision and he knows not to put too much in at once