Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #41
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Popcorn: At what age do you allow your child to try it?

We allow it sometime after age 1. But we carefully screen their bowl - we beak off soft bits with no kernels on it. It is very time consuming to give them popcorn at that age so we don't do it often. Around age 2 we start letting them eat it without us breaking it all up. Kind of depends how they do with chewing. Dd1 was a bit older because she was terrible chewing stuff up so gagged on stuff a lot if we didn't watch her. Dd2 a bit younger but she was always great at chewing stuff up good.

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #42
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD1 didnt get any until 3.5. DD2 I felt comfortable giving it at 2.5.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #43
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD tried some at Sesame street live this year. so at 2.5. she's only had it the one time.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #44
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At about 1.5 BUT i would take a hard parts off and just give one piece of the soft part.. Now at 3 they chomp thru popcorn!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #45
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Ds had it from when he started solids (around 15months). Even with only a couple teeth, gums are hard so he had no issues chewing.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #46
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My older Nephew started eating Popcorn before a yr old. My youngest sister played High School Sports and my other Sister would come to a lot of the games. We'd all give my older Nephew Popcorn. He wouldn't get a lot. When he was almost 2 we was buying him his own small bucket. His Parents was perfectly fine with it. My younger Nephew also had Popcorn before a yr old.

At 4 1/2 and 3 yrs old the boys can put away some popcorn.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #47
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
About 3. Because:

My oldest nephew went through a month of recurring pneumonia at the age of 2-1/2. He would recover some, and when I asked him how he was doing he'd say "little better" but he never got back to 100% before being hit by another round. Finally they scoped him and took a popcorn kernal out of his lung. After that, I asked him how he was doing and he said "big better!" while running around in circles. Afterwards, his daycare teacher remembered that they'd had popcorn one day and he'd been angry at the popcorn. But he wasn't old enough to explain why he'd been angry or that he'd choked.

The doctor who scoped him said popcorn kernals are one of the things they find in 2 y/o's lungs.

I also cut up their grapes and hot dogs until they're 4. And when I give them popcorn, I do go through to make sure there aren't any unpopped pieces. I read an article a couple years ago that said regardless of how many teeth they have, they don't use an adult grinding motion while chewing until about 4, so that is part of their choking risk.
WOW what a story, I was planning on waiting till 2 but after reading this I think I may wait till 4. The poor little guy. I definitely still cut up my sons grapes, and plan to that for a while too. I figure If I can prevent him from choking then I will. Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #48
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD had it for the first time under strict supervision at about 18 months. She had almost all her teeth and I checked to see what she was getting. She just turned 2 and we eat it ALL the time!
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #49
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 12.5 months and he has had little bites of popcorn, but not whole pieces. I just pinch off a small, soft piece that I check to make sure doesn't have any kernal in it.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote