Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how important is c-section rate at hospital?

i'm trying to decide between 2 hospitals to deliver my baby hopefully naturally and with minimal to no intervention. one hospital has a 36% c-section rate and the other has 26% (although i also heard this number was even lower, like 11%...).

do you think this is significant for someone trying for a natural birth? oh, and also my labors are super short and the one with the lower rate is much closer. BUT, i've already had 2 babies at the one farther away and feel more comfortable there.

which one would you chose?

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: how important is c-section rate at hospital?

Do you have an OB or midwife? I would be more interested in my OB's personal c-section rate. If you have a MW though the hospitals rate would probably be more important. KWIM?
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmm...i never even thought about that. i guess i just associated a high rate for the hospital with a higher chance of them trying to push things like pitocin and continuous fetal monitoring, etc, that could eventually lead to a c-section.

(i have an OB by the way )
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

The hospital's rate IS important. Nurses can make a huge difference in how well you can tolerate labor (and by extension your stress level and how quickly you progress.) There are also hospital set policies that OBs can overule but often aren't there long enough to actually do so.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
AmandaR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it matters at all. There are completely legitimate reasons one hospital may have a higher c section rate. For example, is the one with the higher c section the hospital with a higher level NICU? A hospital may have a higher c section rate because they deal with with more emergency situations. While it could mean other things, I just statistics like this can be really skewed.
So I don't think it matters, at all.
Find Me On Facebook and Twitter
AmandaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

You have to look at why the rate is higher, is this a high risk hospital that has a NICU? What is their preemie rate, and so forth, you need to look at your OB's personal record of sections as well. Ask you OB what their feelings on csections are. Ask in a way that you seem unbiased, not that you are ready to flee at the his/her answer, but so that way they are free to answer you honestly. Talk to some people that you may know that have delivered at the hospital, ask them how the nursing staff was. Go on a tour of the birthing floor in the hospital and ask the nurses questions as you tour, get candid with them, but again, asking in a way that it doesn't sound like you are going to jumpship the second they answer a way that you don't like.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

From what I have read, the best predictor of whether or not you have a C section is the rate of your health care practitioner, so I would be more interested in his/her rate than the hospital's.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how do you find out your doctor's c-section rate? is this something you can just ask at an appointment and they will know off the top of their head? i don't want to make my doctor feel like he's my enemy
Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
how do you find out your doctor's c-section rate? is this something you can just ask at an appointment and they will know off the top of their head? i don't want to make my doctor feel like he's my enemy
You might be able to call your insurance company and ask them--they keep those statistics.

I do think it can be difficult to find out, because I imagine doctors would say, "I only do them when necessary", and the definition of "necessary" will vary widely.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I agree with PP who said to ask the caregiver.

At the same time, the difference between the hospital statistics is like 1/3 vs 1/4. So, definately 1/4 is much lower.

Caregivers make a big difference, though. An OB (or MW) who is quick to suggest intervention will treat their patients differently in any hospital, IMO.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote