Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how important is c-section rate at hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
how do you find out your doctor's c-section rate? is this something you can just ask at an appointment and they will know off the top of their head? i don't want to make my doctor feel like he's my enemy

Mine didn't seem at all offended when I asked, and he knew that his practice's rate was 13%.

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an OB once that was cut happy...He even talked my sis into an elective c-sect...and I've had one that it would be the very last resort...So just ask...
Simply ask him "what is the likelihood of things ending up in c-sect with you" Explain to him you don't want to be given unreasonable limits...
It's all about how you want this to happen...Don't stress about it though...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
The hospital's rate IS important. Nurses can make a huge difference in how well you can tolerate labor (and by extension your stress level and how quickly you progress.) There are also hospital set policies that OBs can overule but often aren't there long enough to actually do so.
I've never had a nurse affect my labor progression. Both of my labors the nurses sat at the nurses station and watched a monitor IF I was even hooked up to it. The only times I saw them was if I asked for a drink or if they were coming to say Dr. would be by soon to check in on me. My OB was more present than the nurses were...she was there every hour during the day and sat in the room or stayed on OB all night napping while I labored. She is the first one to yell at the nurses for doing something in a way she doesn't prefer... she's kind of a hard *** and as a professional I hated working with her, but as a patient I LOVE her. She goes by HER policies and her patients needs not the hospitals. That's why I chose her...she is awesome and does not get dictated to by other people, she's there strictly to fight for my health and my needs/wants.

OP- just ask As a patient and paying customer to your Dr. you have a right to that information! Just keep in mind that some will have a higer rate because of the population of patient they see or if they are high-risk OB's. If your Dr.s in charge of your labor setting/situation and will be the ordering any interventions you want to know his/her track record for sections!
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
how do you find out your doctor's c-section rate? is this something you can just ask at an appointment and they will know off the top of their head? i don't want to make my doctor feel like he's my enemy
I would just ask nicely. If he/she acts offended, then that is a big red flag that you need to look for a new OB. No doctor should be offended by a patient kindly asking about their statistics. If there is a reason that he/she has an abnormally high c-section rate, this also gives them a chance to explain that. Finding out the statistic elsewhere doesn't give your OB a chance to explain. Just as with hospitals, there can be reasons why an OB would have a higher than average rate, such as he/she is in charge of high-risk pregnancies, or perhaps specializes in multiples, or that type of thing.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy View Post
I've never had a nurse affect my labor progression. Both of my labors the nurses sat at the nurses station and watched a monitor IF I was even hooked up to it. The only times I saw them was if I asked for a drink or if they were coming to say Dr. would be by soon to check in on me. My OB was more present than the nurses were...she was there every hour during the day and sat in the room or stayed on OB all night napping while I labored. She is the first one to yell at the nurses for doing something in a way she doesn't prefer... she's kind of a hard *** and as a professional I hated working with her, but as a patient I LOVE her. She goes by HER policies and her patients needs not the hospitals. That's why I chose her...she is awesome and does not get dictated to by other people, she's there strictly to fight for my health and my needs/wants.

!
good for you. Your individual experience was good. For many people, they will see their OB briefly, but the nurses at length.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
kej
Registered Users
seller

I agree that it's not so much the hospital's cs rate, but the doctor/midwife's. Ask other patients of theirs. After my first born, which ended up being a cs, I learned from many other mommies who'd used that practice that they'd all had cs's for a similar reason (labor not progressing). For my 2nd birth, I was armed with knowledge, and a fabulous doula, and had a successful VBAC, using the same practice. I kept in mind I pay them, and I stood my ground.
kej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
Shirinatri
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
you can ask your doctor, a lot are reluctant to give the information but eventually they will.
one time i heard the office manager tried to dissuade a patient from finding out :/

regardless, BOTH the OB's and the hospital c section rate are very important.. the nurses and staff will make a big difference in the process.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
For many people, they will see their OB briefly, but the nurses at length.
Yeah, that can make a huge impact. The policy and rates of the OB are important, but how much of an impact that has has a lot to do with how involved your OB is. If he/she is around for your whole labor and is actively involved in your care during that time, then his/her policies will have a big influence. But if you have an OB who is the type that comes in just to catch the baby at the end, then the hospital staff and policies are going to be the dominant influence.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #19
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ask your provider for sure, but also learn about the nursing staff. Eillnyou have a doula? That makes a big difference. Also, will the nurses respect your birth plan? Can you request a nurse who like s natural birthing women, who won't be annoyed by the outlandish requests you might make (ie no efm, food and drink when you need it, etc)

I am going to a hospital with a high csection rate (like >40%, no nicu, no good reason, but that part of the city is too posh to push). Within the hospital are two natural birthing rooms designed for use with my midwives, and particular nurses are assigned to those rooms; those are nurses who are committed to healthy, natural birth. Women there typically have doulas and must take a non-hospital birthing class (Bradley or hypnobirthing, for example) to be allowed to use the room. My midwife prwctice is midwife owned and operated and does not have an OB on staff, though there is a back-up who is not part of the practice or decision making of the practice. The midwife practice has a csection rate of 7%. So, normally I would not go to such a hospital, but i think I've made good research on how my practice works, how the hospital floor operates, etc.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaR View Post
I don't think it matters at all. There are completely legitimate reasons one hospital may have a higher c section rate. For example, is the one with the higher c section the hospital with a higher level NICU? A hospital may have a higher c section rate because they deal with with more emergency situations. While it could mean other things, I just statistics like this can be really skewed.
So I don't think it matters, at all.

In The Thinking Women's Guide Henci Goer states that the level of NICU status at a hospital has nothing to do with c section rates per the research that's been done. It's really the doctors attitudes who practice at those hospitals.

I personally would be more concerned about that particular doctors c-section rates. I would be more concerned about other things as well. Such as what are necessary reasons in there opinion to do a epsiotomy, do they feel that EFM is absolutely necessary, would they be willing to allow you to not get an IV.....etc etc etc. If they are very intervention happy in general then I would try to steer clear of them.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote