Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:
Irritable uterus/preterm labor

I have had 3 experiences with preterm labor. The longest I have carried is 35 weeks and zero days. The next two kids were born at 34 weeks and 1 day. With the last pregnancy, my water broke at 29 weeks and I was able to carry for 5 more weeks. All three pregnancies have involved bedrest from roughly 22 weeks. Since I am now 19+ weeks, I am starting to feel a little nervous at what I feel is coming.

Anyway, this pregnancy I am taking 17P injections weekly and have a cerclage in place. Both of these are firsts for me. I am so hoping that it will make a difference and that I will carry until at least 36 weeks.

However at I am having contractions roughly 5 per hour. Because they are not currently changing my cervix, I have the whole "irritable uterus" diagnosis. The OB assumes that they would be changing my cervix, if the cerclage was not in place. Basically these contractions feel like I am having a "charlie horse" in my abdomen, so they are pretty substantial.

So I am wondering, has anyone found anything that actually helps settle the uterus down? I am taking calcium/magnesium supplements, but I can't tell a difference. Any other herbal/nutrient supplements? (yes, I will double check with my OB/herbalist for drug interactions)

A previous OB has recommended taking 1 Advil every 6 hours, but I am concerned that might not be safe for baby. Any experience with Advil during pregnancy? I know in general that Advil is not recommended, but neither Terbutaline or Procardia are considered "safe" for pregnancy either. So I am really not looking so much for "Advil is not safe in pregnancy" type comments, but more "my OB prescribed Advil for the treatment of preterm labor/irritable uterus and this was my experience." Does that make sense? I am not trying to be snarky at all! I know that Advil isn't good in pregnancy, but I am trying really hard to get this baby to term or at least closer to term.

I just don't "see" a good ending here without some major interventions. I know that full bedrest is coming, but I need to delay it as much as possible, I do have 3 little kids! Plus spending weeks with a preemie in the NICU and months with health problems is just something that I just am so very tired of! I want a healthy baby that I can bring home from the hospital roughly at the same time that I am released!

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
tangerinesky6
Registered Users
seller

Re: Irritable uterus/preterm labor

I have no idea, but good luck. I'm so sorry. I really hope this one lasts to full term!
tangerinesky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:

I appreciate the reply. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
chapmanrl6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any suggestions, but I will pray for you and your little one. Good luck Mama.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. Your pregnancy probs make all 4 of mine put together seem minuscule.
I'm really sorry, I'd just hold on to the hope of those 2 components making your pregnancy go further than the others. Positive is all u can be. Maybe deep breathing, envisioning your baby tucked safe in your body and just trying to keep the mood positive will ease your mind and your body can do it's thing.
I know it's hard to do in pregnancy, I still worry now that I'm still pregnant with a alive baby, but you have to just trust you're body I guess. I'm sorry again, I hope u see your baby to at least term...u desirve it.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Sisbear04
Registered Users

I've have an incompitent cervix/irritable uterus & had an emergency cerclage placed at 21 wks. The doctors were wishful for me to make it to 24 weeks so 34 wks feels great to be at. I just hope to make it to at least 36 wks. I know magnesium & calcium are both good as well as staying super hydrated. As far as meds I don't know anything about Advil and believe it's not very safe during pregnancy. I've been on magmesium, terb, procardia and indacin ( not sure on the spelling it's a med normally used for gout) I wish you luck & hope that things work out for you better this time around. Cerclages are great so that should really help you out.
Kelly
Sisbear04 is offline   Reply With Quote