Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Husky359
Registered Users

Afraid of getting preeclampsia again

Has anyone else had preeclampsia before and is afraid of getting it again? What are you doing different or have done different to try to keep from getting it?

For those of you that didn't get it, did you really eat a LOT of protein everyday? It is REALLY hard for me to eat a ton of protein in pregnancy. For example, I canNOT do eggs anymore. I had them almost everyday for breakfast before pregnancy but now throw up if I try to force myself to eat them - even though I don't have morning sickness or anything, just such strong food aversions. Beef, chicken, etc, they have all been aversions to me, though I am eating some every day.

I am drinking nettle and dandelion leaf tea, taking calm (magnesium), hawthorn, vitamin D, prenatal, probiotic, and fish oil.

Anyway, I am 16 weeks along and I think my ankles are swelling, which is about where I started last pregnancy with everything going downhill.

Thanks for your replies!

Advertisement

Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:
Re: Afraid of getting preeclampsia again

i was like "pre-preeclamptic" with my first..like i was almost there.. and yes this time i have been eating between 70-90 grams of protein a day.. my dh makes me! in the beginning he would just boil eggs and stand there while i almost puked while eating them! but now i am getting used to like finding ways to eat multiple sources in the same meal.. like rice and beans, with chicken or hamburger in it and frying an egg to stir in... and to not eat anything that doesn't have protein in it..its just wasted bites ... its been a huge challenge..but this time i haven't gained as much weigh and i feel great even chasing after two kids!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
JadedRose
Banned

They also put me on a low dose asprin every night. They said that can help.
JadedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have it with my first set of twins, but I did have pregnancy induced high blood pressure. It is high again this time and I'm only 19wks. I'm definitely concerned. I hadn't heard about the protein thing. I'm going to google that. I am eating a lot of protein though. I just seem to want it. I'm craving meatballs.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Sophiasmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had it w/ my first pregnancy not the second..

My Dr said its not always the case to get it again.. he also said that studies show being w/ the same partner and having another child w/ him reduces the risk
DD#1 5/21/04 ,DS 11/30/06 , DD#2 6/29/10 & 2 Angels
Sophiasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
dkg354boy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had pree. with all of my girls but not my boys. Not really sure why. Praying that I will not get it again with this little girl. I am going to be watching this thread for some good hint on prevention. Sorry I dont have anything to share.
Christine,Proud LDS wife to the love of my life David and Mama to six wonderful children, Darien(16) kayla(14) Princess Paige(8) Braeden(6) Abigail(3) Baby Caitlynn(21 months) three little beans in heaven, never forgotten

dkg354boy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I got severe pre-e with my first baby and was told you will get it with future kids, for me this wasn't true and I never got it again and have 3 kids now. one tip, lay completely off the salt as it will make you swell. I still don't eat salt.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

I had PIH leading to pre-e with my first, and was induced. It SUCKED. I'm 35+ weeks along, and just now starting to see my BP go up to uncomfortable levels. My MW has me taking 1500-2000 mg calcium/day, along with everything else I'm taking (juice+, a different cal/mag supplement, vit D, prenatal, fish oil, alfalfa, fresh garlic), and just yesterday told me to start on a variety of tinctures known to bring down BP (hops, skullcap, and passionflower), and also suggested EFT, so I have an EFT consultation tonight (www.areyoutapping.com). I'm also using castor oil some too - soaked on a strip of flannel and laid across the top of my belly w/ a barrier towel on top, and then a heating pad set to low on top of the barrier towel...the castor oil will draw out toxins from the liver this way.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

very interesting info! I had pree with my first 3 sons, but with my 4th, I didn't let the midwife obsessively check my bp or put me on bedrest. I don't think I had it that time. The 1st 3 times, I was put on modified bedrest. Very nervous for this pregnancy, as I have been diagnosed with a genetic kidney disease in the 12 yrs since my last pregnancy and one of the symptoms is high BP. the BP meds they tried to put me on that are safe to be on when pregnant (when I was TTC before), didn't work for me. I am willing to try lots of things to prevent/help it. I have never heard the "eat a lot of protein" but with my kidney disease, I shouldn't eat a lot of protein anyway, so that wouldn't work for me
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
KatieGrace
Registered Users
Formerly: katiebelle
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'd like to hear more stories. I'm dealing with a threatened miscarriage right now. But if this pregnancy continues I'm terrified of getting pre-e again, as well as the next if we have to start TTC all over again. I hate the anxiety I feel over it. I was induced with my first at 37 weeks because my blood pressure was so high, my bloodwork was off and I had protein in my urine, of course. Any other stories mamas??
https://www.facebook.com/kimberlyajones.origamiowl
KatieGrace is offline   Reply With Quote