Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
pregnancy announcement??

so dh and i just found out we're expecting baby #3 (end of may according to online due date calculator) and this is veeeeery much a surprise baby...lol not unwelcome of course, but certainly not part of the current plan! the thing is, my sister gave birth to her first child on sunday afternoon...which happens to be the day i got my BFP. how long should we wait before telling my side of the family? i really kinda feel bad about it!! do you think it matters?? she had the baby 6 weeks early, but fortunately he is doing amazingly well, and other than having some problems getting the hang of breastfeeding, he has no issues...but i donno...i guess i feel weird sharing our news while he is still in the hospital, but at the same time i dont' want hurt feelings because we didn't tell right away!

ps-i'm still in complete shock here...LOL

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pregnancy announcement??

For me I am close to my Aunt (my mom's sister, my mom passed away almost 4 years ago , and my grandma can't keep a secret ) and my cousin was expecting her first and I didn't want to take anything away from them. So I waited for a couple of weeks after the baby was born to tell anyone in the family . I only told 2 friends didn't even say anything to SO until he finally said something when I was about 8-10 weeks .
rebeccalynne15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I say spread the good news if you like to do it right away! No reason to wait, really. Her baby is doing fine. I would think they would be happy for you. My SIL announced her pregnancy just a couple weeks before I gave birth. I was THRILLED for her. I'd only hold off if things were not looking good for her baby and it's a sad time. Doesn't sound like that is the case at all. congrats!!!
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
BeccaD777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would wait. No need to steal her thunder right now. Wait until the baby is out of the hospital. This is a time that should be about her and her baby. You have 9 months to tell and people to be excited. My SIL was pregnant withing 3 months of me twice. I always kinda felt bad about that. Even though I love my SIL and am glad the cousins are close. Especially with my first one. So, all that to say I would wait until the hoopla around her dies down before making the announcement.

Congratulations!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the responses! BeccaD777, that's exactly what i am afraid of...i dont' want her to feel like we are stealing all her glory. i should have added, we live in another state...so it's not like we'd be walking into the nicu making our announcement or anything....
dh thinks we'd be ok to tell everyone except my sister...but i don't like that idea...i feel like that would hurt her feelings if she were the last to know.
ugh. i hate this. lol we are definitely the type to tell right away, so it's kind of killing me to not say anything...lol
Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
er517
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We found out we were expecting #3 when my SIL was getting married. We didn't want to take away from her special day (everyone deserves one), not to mention that I honestly didn't think she'd be too thrilled for us to spill the news at that time. We waited until after the wedding. It was a great decision.

I vote to wait a little while.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I say to wait a little while, too. Last time we told and I felt really bad b/c my brother and SIL were waiting until their anniversary to tell they were expecting (I told on Tuesday, their anniversary was Saturday). I felt pretty bad about it! If I had known I owuld have waited at least a little while longer. This time I keep wondering if I should tell my SIL first? I don't know if they are TTC or not???
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would wait. When I was pregnant with DS2, my sister got pregnant with identical twins. She ended up losing them at 19 weeks just one month shy of DS2's birth. But my whole pregnancy was ignored due to her high risk (and first time) pregnancy. Everyone offered to help them with this or that and I just kinda got treated like normal not pregnant. But that is also how the dynamics of my family work.

Also, I got pregnant with DS1 when my oldest sister was 6 months pregnant with her first. I waited to tell everyone for a few weeks so she could have more time to be the pregnant one. This time I got pregnant when she was 3 months along. We waited again for them to find out the sex before telling everyone so we didn't steal that thunder since I can't seem to let her be pregnant alone.

So, essentially I have been pregnant with a sister for each pregnancy.