Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What age do your boys PL?

Aedan was over 3...he will be 4 in November and just started using undies right after Christmas. I have to say it is sooooooooooo much easier if you let them decide rather than try to trick them or bribe them or force them (shamefully I did all 3....no flames please I was desperate and my family wouldn't leave me alone about it). I had family members that actually made me feel like I was doing something wrong or that I just wasn't doing enough.......DO NOT LET THIS GET TO YOU!!!!! Kids are stubborn, if they think you want them to do something.....chances are they do the opposite....at least mine do at this age. Don't get me wrong they are great kids, very polite, mind well (most of the time)....they just like to think it is their idea ya know?!

Aedan just up and decided one day to go potty....I wasn't too hopefully because he would do this now and then with no luck for PL'ing. I just went with it day by day and now he only wears PullUps at night.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son was about 3 when he learned. He seemed to have no interest in it either until i just stopped using diapers at home and he wore underwear and trainers. He did NOT like the feel of poop and pee in the underwear. So he soon learned that it was better to go in the potty. I didn't push him or get mad or anything. I just let him decide that he didn't like it and encouraged him to use the potty. He learned very quickly then. We used pullups and diapers when we went out for a little while though. And at night. He was a night wetter for a long time.

My little brother was over 4 when he finally would use the potty. My nephew just recently was potty trained and will be 4 later this month. But my other 2 nephews learned at around age 2.
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds is almost 29 months. He's getting there but, not all the way, yet. He will sit on the potty if we ask him too, most of the time. If he needs to go he will go on the potty. He's not at the point where he will tell me he has to go though. We are not pushing it but, I really hope after the age of three he's potty trained.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Average for boys is 31 months. Mine PL'd at 18 months- his choice, not mine, I missed my CDs lol
Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 AM   #15
jsnichols1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 22 mo's and is going about 3 or 4 times a day on the potty right now. DD just learned at 3 1/2, so I think he's been watching her. :-) I'm due with #3 in a few weeks, we were going to really work with him, since he's interested!
jsnichols1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #16
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

It does seem to vary tremendously depending on the child. I've had some friends who had a horrible time trying to get their ds to train until an older cousin stayed with them. He decided for himself that he wanted to be like this cousin and use the potty and basically self-trained in a day. Seeing other kids does seem to be a motivator sometimes. Is it possible to try exposing your son to children a bit older who are trained and see if he decides or himself (or better yet, the older child happens to mention that "babies wear diapers")?
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #17
little*sprouts*garden
Banned
seller

DS #1 was completely potty trained at 20 months....he decided himself and I never pushed the issue...I couldn't understand why some people had problems training their little boys.......then my girl came along, lol

My DD is 2.5 and just FINALLY is in panties all day and we put her in a diaper still for night. We haven't completly mastered staying dry overnight.

I tend to agree with one of the previous posts that when you start them really young they don't feel as much "control" with it. For example, my SIL has a 4.5 year old that is STILL in diapers. Basically, it is a TOTAL control issue with them. When he comes here for the day I tell him that I he is going to have to go on my potty and not in his diapers...and guess what?!???? HE STAYS DRY and goes in the potty EVERY TIME for me!

I just would go BONKERS if I was still changing a 4.5 year olds diaper!! At 4.5 years old it seems that they are wayyyy aware of when they need to go to the bathroom! With that being said I also know that kids can be stubborn...you certainly can't "make" a child go potty on the toilet! So for those mommas having to deal with that I truly feel your frustration!

I think the biggest thing to remember is to not push the issue~ the second they know you are wanting them to do it is the second they know "hey...wait a minute....I have control over this~ I just may not want to do it!"....those little stinkers!!
little*sprouts*garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #18
Mom2TJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older ds pl'd in January--about six weeks after his 3rd birthday. It was a control issue for him too...until it dawned on him that it WASN'T a big deal, and underwear was a good thing.

We still have the occasional accident (due mainly to some bowel issues he has...I don't think it's intentional at all), but he basically went from diapers one day, to being in pl'd the next. Woo hoo!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
HoneyDoMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest was a little over 2 when he completely learned. He was VERY easy though - scary easy. He night trained at the same time.

I have a 26 month old who will pee and poop on the potty without a problem.....as long as he's naked. If I put underwear on him, he will pee in them, without a thought. He had interest at about 18 months. We tried, it didn't work so well, so we packed it up for a bit. Then, he just started to be interested again. I have no idea when/how he will get it. I was actually going to post about it - so I think I might.

My nephew and my neighbor are both 4 and have JUST learned. Every child is very different.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

wierd with david he was night trained before day trained
i can say with confidence that he is now completely PTed. i dont have to remind him to go. he will go now by himself (he be 4 next month)
i did buy him trainers at 2.5yrs old and just took him potty every 2hrs. no pushing or anything. he didnt care at all though
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote