Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's your favorite belly butter - and did it work?

I used L'Occitane's Mom and Baby Balm (my dad kept a steady supply of the stuff coming throughout my first pregnancy) and I do not have a SINGLE stretch mark on my boobs or tummy!

I will definitely be using it again if he starts sending it, but if he doesn't I'd like a cheaper, albeit effective alternative. Any recommendations? Also, say the price and what it smells like.

The stuff I used was unscented and costs $40 for a 4.9 oz tin.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's your favorite belly butter - and did it work?

I used a concoction of essential oils. There is a recipe in the natural birthing book by Mothering's editor, Peggy O'Mara. One ingredient alone was $25, I think - so, all in it's a bit pricey. But, I have no stretch marks. Then again, my mom had 3 kids, I'm sure she used nothing except maybe coco butter, and she has none. I know this is partly (or totally ) hereditary. But, I'll be whipping up that concoction again as soon as I dig out my book. Still have all of my oils safely tucked away in a dark, cool place.

My boobs don't grow with pregnancy and only perhaps a cup size with nursing. I just finished nursing dd at 34.5 months (she'll be 3 on the 28th) and I have no stretch marks on my breasts. I didn't use anything there.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

L'Occitaine's Shea Butter - while I LOVE it, it didn't work At about 35 weeks my belly started looking like a railroad yard. It is ok though, I consider it a badge of honor

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
I used a concoction of essential oils. There is a recipe in the natural birthing book by Mothering's editor, Peggy O'Mara. One ingredient alone was $25, I think - so, all in it's a bit pricey. But, I have no stretch marks. Then again, my mom had 3 kids, I'm sure she used nothing except maybe coco butter, and she has none. I know this is partly (or totally ) hereditary. But, I'll be whipping up that concoction again as soon as I dig out my book. Still have all of my oils safely tucked away in a dark, cool place.

My boobs don't grow with pregnancy and only perhaps a cup size with nursing. I just finished nursing dd at 34.5 months (she'll be 3 on the 28th) and I have no stretch marks on my breasts. I didn't use anything there.
That sounds awesome! How do you like the book? I've been thinking of getting it. See my mom has a ton of stretch marks so go figure!

How awesome that you nursed your DD that long! I'm guessing she self-weaned. What was the process like? My DS is 2 in a few days and I don't think he's anywhere close, but I always wonder what child-led weaning looks like.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganne79 View Post
L'Occitaine's Shea Butter - while I LOVE it, it didn't work At about 35 weeks my belly started looking like a railroad yard. It is ok though, I consider it a badge of honor
Totally! I was talking to a friend of mine the other day. We used to always talk about the older ladies in the gym locker room and how they didn't cover up and were so brazen with their naked bodies even though there were far less perfect than our pre-baby, twentysomething ones. We never really got it. But now that we're mothers we're like - "These hips might be wide, but they birthed a child! These breasts might sag, but they nourished a baby!" Funny how differently you look at your body once you've been transformed my motherhood.

And I do have stretch marks on my butt, hips and thighs, but that's from years of weight gain/loss and a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Not exactly a badge of honor for me.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I look like I've been in a fight with a bear!

With my first I got SM on my boobs and hips. I got one SM on my belly.

With my second, I got a few SM on my belly below my belly button.

With my third, I got attacked. He was 9/8 at birth, and my body just kept stretching to accomodate.

Each time I used a combination of Cetaphil (about $6 a bottle) and cocoa butter.

After a few months, my SM fade, and you hardly notice them anymore. They did show up about a week ago, a little bit darker than they were before. I think it's because my belly is growing ever so slightly...
Old 10-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
princesslilahsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think its mostly hereditary- my mom didn't get sm and neither did i with both of my previous preg- you can see on the prev preg post- my huge belly and no strech marks either time- so i guess i'm just lucky. Hope it holds out for this one too.
princesslilahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
alternamama82
Registered Users
seller

I don't use anything and this is #3 - hopefully I will remain stretchmark free! Although I imagine it would feel soothing if nothing else when the skin is really stretched to the max.
alternamama82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It really does! I would bring it to work. It kept my belly from feeling so itchy.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama View Post
That sounds awesome! How do you like the book? I've been thinking of getting it. See my mom has a ton of stretch marks so go figure!

How awesome that you nursed your DD that long! I'm guessing she self-weaned. What was the process like? My DS is 2 in a few days and I don't think he's anywhere close, but I always wonder what child-led weaning looks like.
It's been so long since I looked at it (3 years!) but it is one of the ones I really want to dig out. I love the philosophy of Mothering, so, it was good for me.

Ahhh, child led weaning. I do ask myself if I weren't a WOHM, would my child have weaned earlier? It was definitely a way to reconnect for her. I tried to encourage her to wean when I became pregnant and that was meant with much, loud, resistance. So, I gave up. But I did keep explaining to her that the new baby was going to have "Mommy yum-yums" (as we called it) as well. And that was all the baby could eat, just like she did when she was a baby and that she would have to share and the baby would nurse first. I also prepared her for the possibility that my milk may disappear. Apparently, it did. She didn't nurse for almost 2 days. At the end of the second day, as I was rocking her to sleep, she asked to nurse. I told her I didn't think there was anything left, but that she could try. She tried. I asked if there was anything left. She said, no and that "the baby drank it all!" And that was the end of that. Neither she nor I was crying, so, it was a good ending.