Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
sebastiansmommy
Registered Users
seller

Antibiotic Rash, Best way to help?

DS had to be put on antibiotics for an ear infection. Almost immediately he got a horrid rash. What can I do to get him more comfortable?

I am at the moment putting him in our fitted diapers and coverless so I can change him more frequently. I have California baby diaper cream and burts bees. Do you think I might have to suck it up and do sposies and the "special" creams??? I am trying to avoid that but I don't know what to do to help his bottom right now.

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
grizzardmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Antibiotic Rash, Best way to help?

He prolly got a yeast rash....you'll need to sanitize your dipes and get lotriman athletes foot cream to put on it. With a barrier or sposies. If its not yeast he xould be having a reaction to the antibiotic.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Spindle Spun
Spindle Spun - Handspun Goodness
Formerly: iamslh
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzardmommy View Post
He prolly got a yeast rash....you'll need to sanitize your dipes and get lotriman athletes foot cream to put on it. With a barrier or sposies. If its not yeast he xould be having a reaction to the antibiotic.
I agree that it is probably a yeast rash,

but I disagree that you will need to sanitize your diapers. Everyone has yeast in moist areas. Yeast rashes don't occur because there IS yeast, but due to a PH imbalance in the body, in this case caused by the antibiotics. The PH imbalance provides more food for the yeast, which due to the fact that the yeast has more food it multiplies and causes problems.

However, once the body is back to normal, it will still have yeast, but that yeast won't have extra food due to a PH imbalance so won't have the opportunity to multiply.

Yeast infections aren't contagious, and yeast is normal to find in moist parts of the body. It only causes problems if the yeast have more opportunities to multiply.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
sebastiansmommy
Registered Users
seller

I know it is going to be a yeast rash, sorry I didn't clarify that. He is getting the bumps already. We have been through these a time or two. BUT I haven't been using CD before so I was unsure how to proceed... I will just do what we are doing now. Poor kiddo is not having a good time with it.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Stouffers3
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD is prone to yeast rashes and we still use anti-fungal cream even now that we are CDing. I use a fleece liner (i cut my own rectangles of fleece). So far I haven't had any problems with stuff washing out. In my experience the rashes seem to go away better in cloth then when we were using sposies
Bruce (12/09, born at 33 weeks), MC 01/14 Missing my Angel
Expecting our Rainbow in April 2015
MTHFR, Fibromyalgia
Stouffers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Babycatcher2B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouffers3 View Post
My DD is prone to yeast rashes and we still use anti-fungal cream even now that we are CDing. I use a fleece liner (i cut my own rectangles of fleece). So far I haven't had any problems with stuff washing out. In my experience the rashes seem to go away better in cloth then when we were using sposies
Yep if you look in athlete's foot section in a store, you'll find clotrimazole cream... its the best and cheaper (though it is the SAME STUFF!) as what you'll find in the women care sections... evil retailers...

Also, leaving your baby UNDIAPERED and lots of exposure to sun and air will help immensely. Yogurt is AMAZING help too... needs to have live cultures of acidolpholus.

For really sore bums, a bath with 1/4 cup baking soda in about 6-9 inches of tub water will help too.

HTH mama!
CaraLin
Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor baby! Probiotics should help treat and prevent recurrence! You should take acidophilus supplements too if you are nursing to prevent thrush. My pedi swears by this kind and even sells them in his office: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=2226
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote