Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

Daycare and Desitin - what should I say?

First of all I love my dc provider, this is the one and only issue that I have with her. Also, Jax hardly ever gets rashes, but he is teething right now and for some reason he get a little red, but it is nothing serious.

I told her when we first started going there that the diapers required a certian diaper cream and we keep a tube of it at her house that never leave.

3 weeks ago, I picked him up and he smelled funny, but I didn't figure it out till I got home and changed him. Desitin every where, yuck! Sure enough, that diapers stained, and it still smells like Desitin after 3 washes. I wrote a note and taped it to another tube of the good stuff (just in case the other tube was gone) and it just said, please no Desitin, it makes the diapers stain When I picked him up the next day, I asked if she got my note, she said she did, she said sorry, I said no biggie. I told her that even if I wasn't using CD, I still wouldn't want her using that stuff. I never used it with my dd and just the smell of it gives me a headache.

Fast forward to yesterday, I picked him up and thought he smelled like Desitin again. Sure enough, I get home and I confrim that is what I smelled. Another diaper stained and stinky.

Now I have told her 2 times. I know she used it for a few days after the first time she used Desitin. Then the rash went away for a little while, and now it is back and she is using Desitin again. I know the tube that I gave her is not gone, it was brand new.

I don't wnat anymore stained diapers, and I really want to gag everytime I smell that stuff. Howdo I tell her AGAIN without coming accross rude? I am so irritated that I am afraid I will say something wrong.

Advertisement

Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
ClothDiaperFashionista
Registered Users
Formerly: azzmeg
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare and Desitin - what should I say?

You won't come across as rude! This is your child and the diaper cream you use is your choice! I'm sure she is not doing it on purpose, its probably just second nature for her to whip out the Desatin because that is what she always uses and she just did it without thinking.

If it were me, I would speak to her personally and just say that your child came home with Desatin on him again and that it really gives you a a headache and messes up your dipes, so could she please set out your child's diaper cream next to where she keeps the Desatin as a reminder to always use it on him. Maybe also tape a note to the outside of your diaper bag saying "x cream only please" so when she reaches for a dipe, she is reminded (but talk to her first).
ClothDiaperFashionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

I would simply tell her no Desitin. It makes you sick and that you think he might be having a reaction to it. If she cant respect that then you might have to find somewhere else that will respect it. If she has no problem putting that on him then what else is she doing that you have asked her not to.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
sept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyBeautifulMama View Post
I would simply tell her no Desitin. It makes you sick and that you think he might be having a reaction to it. If she cant respect that then you might have to find somewhere else that will respect it. If she has no problem putting that on him then what else is she doing that you have asked her not to.
i have to agree with this. when you talk to her again, make sure you tell her how much the smell affects you. if she can't remember that the next time he has a rash, i wouldn't trust her with other aspects of lo's care, no matter how much i liked her.
i haven't posted up here in forever because i built a pretty good stash and didn't need anything else. now my kids are potty trained in the day. i'm keeping most of my night stash and selling the rest. iso nothing, sorry.
sept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperFashionista View Post
You won't come across as rude! This is your child and the diaper cream you use is your choice! I'm sure she is not doing it on purpose, its probably just second nature for her to whip out the Desatin because that is what she always uses and she just did it without thinking.
Yeah - this is what my first thought was too. When I told her that I hated that stuff and didn't use it with 7yo dd, she looked at me like I had 2 heads, of course with the expression on her face, ya know - head titled sideways, a little confused at the thought that someone didn't use the oh so great Desitin.

It is defenitiley not a case of "oh I will do what I want and I don't care what mom says" If that was the case then I would for sure have no problem telling her again and I wouldn't worry about coming off rude and if it happened again I would for sure be removing my kids. But I know that is not the case.
Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm surprised she's using anything other than what you provide...our DCP requires us to fill out medical documentation for all diaper cream, and we have to provide it. I wouldn't be rude but I would point blank tell her "No more desitin, it makes me ill and it is ruining the diapers. If you're out of the diaper cream I provide please let me know and I'll provide more but do NOT use desitin on him"
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
ShellBell1029
Registered Users
seller

If it were me, I would just nicely say that the Desitin is ruining your diapers and if she continues to use it you will have to ask her to start replacing the diapers. Not only does it stain, but it can cause diapers to repel instead of absorbing and therefore leak all over the place. So if she doesn't want to deal with buying you new diapers or leaks all the time, then she will probably stop using it. But say it nicely, of course.

Cloth Reverie on Facebook and Hyenacart
ShellBell1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MIL is our DCP and does this same thing. I told her not to repeatedly and showed her the cj's, but every time she was the least bit red (she has never had a rash) I would come home and she would have $2 worth of triple paste all over her butt and diaper Once, she even accidently put a ton of Eczema cream that costs $12 a tube on her butt because she thought it was rash cream I showed her the ruined dipes and she hasn't done it lately, but I had to compromise and keep sposies in the house for her to use when she feels the urge to slather on that nasty stuff!
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
nurse&mom23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is it with DCP and desitin??? I had the exact same thing happen to me. But I told her once and she hasn't done it again. At another day care when dd was little she would come home with a ton of baby powder on her that I didn't send. Yuck.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Medic View Post
I'm surprised she's using anything other than what you provide...our DCP requires us to fill out medical documentation for all diaper cream, and we have to provide it. I wouldn't be rude but I would point blank tell her "No more desitin, it makes me ill and it is ruining the diapers. If you're out of the diaper cream I provide please let me know and I'll provide more but do NOT use desitin on him"
to the bolded.

My DS' preschool won't use anything. And neither would my DD's back in the day.