Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Pap smear during pregnancy?

My last pap was about 18 mos ago. I guess my MW has to have a "current" pap on file. She offered to do it at my 14 wk appt or at 35 wks. Which is better?

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
SazBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pap smear during pregnancy?

Ooooh, I'd opt for earlier, my Dr's office routinely does a pap at the first prenatal apt around 8-10 weeks. I didn't get it this time because I had just had my routine pap with my Gyn about 4 months prior. Never really heard of anyone doing it at such a late time in pregnancy like 35 weeks, but then I wouldn't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it. I'd rather my cervix be left alone in pregnancy, thank you!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
karcher26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have always refused during pregnancy and my MW is fine waiting until my 6wk check postpartum. ^Same as pp, I don't want anything messing around with my cervix while pregnant. I would ask more questions.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Yea, I prefer not to do it at all. I just don't think anything in there needs to be messed around with. I would think earlier would be more concerning... b/c the baby is still so delicate and if something were to happen, baby cannot survive outside the womb... whereas at 35 weeks, baby's chances of survival are very good... Hmph. I'm on the fence....
Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

so glad you asked this question. i was supposed to get my annual this month, and my first MW appt is Tuesday. I'm unsure if i need to have one done, too. but i think i'll discuss with the midwife, and possibly refuse. i've never had an abnormal pap if there are good reasons to go ahead and get one, i'd love to hear them too!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

I've had one at one of my 1st couple OB appts with all my pregnancies(this is #4). They do it at the same appt as all the initial blood work. I guess I never thought anything of it, I just figured it was standard practice since I've had 3 different doctors at different clinics and they all did it that way.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:

I asked my dr about having one this pregnancy and he said we will wait until after the baby is born and I have my post partum checkup. I forget exactly why but something about the cervix being softer during pregnancy......anyways I am waiting until the pp check up Plus he said if they find anything they wouldn't really be able to do anything about it until after I have the baby anyways.
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
karcher26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ EXACTLY! From what I have read it's to check for STD's, abnormal cells that could indicate cervical cancer, but, I would not do anything about that until after I had the baby anyway. KWIM?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Great input ladies. This is what I was initially thinking. I'll talk to my MW more about it and just decline it.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm surprised your midwife would do that at 35 weeks. It hasn't been that long since your last one and if you are low risk, you should see if she'll wait until your 6 week post partum check. I haven't had one in about 18 months either and I just switched back to my OB and he has no problem waiting until my PP check up, he actually suggested it. I'm low risk and haven't changed partners so he felt more comfortable just leaving it alone until he is going to be up there anyway you know.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote