Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If I conceived on day 13 or 14 of my cycle...

is there a way to tell what the sex of the baby could *possibly* be? I've heard something about male sperm being faster than female sperm, so therefore, you'd be more likely to have a boy if you had s&x closer to your ovulation time. I don't know...just what I've heard, lol.

Is there any truth to this? And if so, what could that me for me (with the above info that I provided)?

Thanks!

PS-I'm due the very end of May with number FOUR!

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If I conceived on day 13 or 14 of my cycle...

IMO it's 50/50 no matter when you DTD. I don't know when any of my boys were conceived, the middle one was the only one we were 'trying' on. For him we did it everyday during my fertile time. For my current pregnancy we didn't do it anywhere near my fertile time or so I thought.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

The theory is that female sperm are slower but more resilient and live longer. Male are quick, but also die quickly. So, if you were going to try predicting, you would need to know 100% what day you ovulated. If you'd DTD the day of ovulation or the day before it'd be more likely to be a boy. If it'd been 2-4 days then it'd be more likely to be a girl. Were you charting or anything? I have charted with my last three and based on the above theory I knew I was having girls with all three long before we had the gender u/s because the last time I DTD before ovulating was 3-4 days. I definitely wouldn't paint a room or buy anything based on it, but I think it's fun to guess.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Mama View Post
The theory is that female sperm are slower but more resilient and live longer. Male are quick, but also die quickly. So, if you were going to try predicting, you would need to know 100% what day you ovulated. If you'd DTD the day of ovulation or the day before it'd be more likely to be a boy. If it'd been 2-4 days then it'd be more likely to be a girl. Were you charting or anything? I have charted with my last three and based on the above theory I knew I was having girls with all three long before we had the gender u/s because the last time I DTD before ovulating was 3-4 days. I definitely wouldn't paint a room or buy anything based on it, but I think it's fun to guess.
Isn't it "average" for women to ovulate somewhere between day 12-15 of their cycle?
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post
Isn't it "average" for women to ovulate somewhere between day 12-15 of their cycle?
It's also "average" to have a 28 day cycle.

If you hang out on the TTC board, you'll find that pretty much no one ovulates on day 14 (average). It's just an average of those that go beforehand and those that go afterwards (this LO had an ovulation date on the 16th day).

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have 32 - 36 day cycles...and have had as long as 45 day cycles. I ovulate different days every month! However, I can say that the theory has proven true for me with both of my pregnancies. But, I am not really sure I think it is true. I charted, BBT, and used OPKs when trying to conceive my DS and DD, so I knew the exact days I ovulated. With my DS, we had DTD two days before ovulation, then with my DD, it was four days before.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When did you DTD? With my current pregnancy, we DTD only once and it was 2-4 days before ovulation so i'm really hoping that we "shettled" a girl this time! With my boys we had DTD right at ovulation. It's an experiment this time for sure! I'm telling myself it's a girl
Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonR80 View Post
When did you DTD? With my current pregnancy, we DTD only once and it was 2-4 days before ovulation so i'm really hoping that we "shettled" a girl this time! With my boys we had DTD right at ovulation. It's an experiment this time for sure! I'm telling myself it's a girl
We dtd about a day or so after ovulation (well, I guess after I had the eggish mucus stuff, lol).
Old 09-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We tried to line up our odds of having a boy with our last pregnancy and it did not work. I have ALL girls despite our best efforts. I can actually feel when I ovulate so I know we have DTD right at that time and still ended up with a girl so no dice over her. However, I do know that there are other factors that can affect it. If the female's environment is particularly acidic then it can kill off a large amount of the male sperm, etc. I've never tried to mess with that but I read a book about "choosing the gender" of your baby. Very interesting stuff!!! I am pregnant with number four which is a TOTAL surprise and we are not finding out what we are having. I'm going to crack up if its a boy.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Yeah it's really not so much what cd you are, it has more to do with what day you ovulate.

I am thinking this one will be a girl because I o'd early cd 9. We had dtd 4 days before, so we thought we were safe, but we were wrong lol. The key I have read to a girl is to hit 3-4 days before ovulation. Although with my dd we kind of accidently did the ovulate plus 12 hours and got a girl. Who knows .

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote