Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Just Call Me the Car Seat Nazi

Today I was picking up my friends daughter from school when I saw a little girl (7 or 8 years old) carrying the cutest little baby. He looked to be about 6 months old..maybe younger.

As she's carrying him to the car I'm talking to Kevin about how cute he is then I realize that they're getting into a teeny, tiny Ford Ranger pick up that has no back seat. I sit there hoping that maybe they're just waiting for someone and that they won't actually drive off with the baby sitting on his sisters lap...in the front seat...with his head hanging out the window.

Unfortunately I was wrong. Fortunately I had the foresight to write down the licence plate number. I followed the car all the way across town to another elementary school. Once they finally stopped I confirmed the plate number and called the cops. They said they were sending an officer right away (the station is only have a block from the school). But, I didn't have time to wait around and see what happened.

What is wrong with people?!?! I mean, I don't expect everyone to be as obsessed with car seat safety as I am. I don't expect them to do months of research when they buy a car seat and I don't expect them to spend hundreds of dollars on a car seat. But for crap sake how hard is it to figure out that it's obscenely dangerous to let a tiny baby sit in someone's lap in the front seat of a pick up truck?!

Yeah, installing car seats can be a pain. Buckling your kids into them 100 times a day is annoying. But is your childs life not worth that little bit of extra time?

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just Call Me the Car Seat Nazi

I would have done the same thing momma. That is awful. My friends all laugh at me, but always call me at the same time with their carseat questions, cause I am a freak about it
Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have done the same - you may have saved her life!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

oh my, I see this all too often but I am usually driving and have no way to write down a license plate number and call the police at the same time. What is wrong with people these days? Putting your newborn baby at risk like that is just uncomprehendable to me.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's nuts. You did the right thing. Why are people so stupid???
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I would have done the same thing!!!!! It took me a month to choose a carseat and do allthe research and even though we are broke, my daughters life is worth everything we have and more. Everytime I am on the road I pray for our safety, it makes me feel better to know that she is in the safest seat out there.
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I would have done it, my sister has done it (and BTW, she actually calls herself the Car Seat Nazi, too.) Even if it weren't dangerous as Heck, it's illegal. That should be enough for anyone.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
sienna
Registered Users

you are my HERO.

what i don't understand is why, when kids are killed that way, that the parents don't go to jail for neglect/failing to provide the necessities, or whatever.

DON'T PEOPLE LOVE THEIR KIDS?????

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate it at storytime when i hear a mom say 'we can't afford a carseat', yeah sure britax are great but hey my kids are doing fine in there cheapey walmart cosco seats.It doesn't cost much just $40 bucks.They go nowhere without carseats but we do tend to walk a lot so if dh has car with seats it's no biggie, school, park and grocery store in walking distance.
paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #10
sienna
Registered Users

if you can't afford a carseat YOU CAN'T AFFORD A CAR.

s
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote