Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #11
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: I want to bf for over 1 year with my next....

Most people just didn't know that I nursed till 18 months... I was dicreet and he only nursed a few times a day. This time around, I plan to nurse till DS says no thanks, Mommy. And I will do it loud and proud

Advertisement

Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:33 AM   #12
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

As others have said, we live in a distorted society that thinks of breasts as purely sexual objects. A lot of people refuse to bf at all just because of that reason. It's very sad because it's one of the most natural things in the world for mothers.

Please don't feel like you'll be molesting your child if you bf beyond a year. When I mentioned to my SIL that I would do it as long as Hannah wanted to, she looks at me like I am a total sicko and says, WHY?!??! Then she looks at me up and down like I am truly gross for even suggesting it.
But that's OK because I know she's just ignorant on the subject and influenced by pop culture.

You do what's best for you and your baby, and don't worry about what anyone else says.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #13
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, you'll get them from naive uneducated people. When I got pregnant, I didn't even relize breastfeeding was an option, and now here I am 19 months later and still going strong. One year rolled around and of course people ask me are you going to wean. You do what is right for you and your child. I usually tell people the statistics, like the world wide age of weaning, and things like the WHO recommends a minimum, not max, of at least 2 years, and that the APP recommends a minimum, not mas of 1 year and AS LONG AS MUTUALLY DESIRED BY MOTHER AND CHILD. So why would anybody want to go agaist such highly recognized groups. And of course you can tell them about all the benifets of once you hit the two year mark how drastically it decreases cancer rates for the mother, why would anybody not want you lessing your chances, what kind of friend would not want that that?????

I really believe education is the key, so many people just don't relized all the benefits.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
mommypooh
Registered Users

I am still tandem nursing I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 16 month old. I will nurse both in public, just one at a time. I have no support in my family other than my DH and his Grandparents who live in another state. You do what you feel is right and tell them to keep their opinions to themselves. and if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to hit me up. I will always be avalible to support any moms who want to nurse longer than a year.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm gonna nurse my dd til my boobs hit my knees! lol...they are halfway there already.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son is 15 months in a couple days, his dad had huge problems with it though hes known for years if i had a kid it would be bf... anyway, now he just doesnt like that i do it out, he says people dont need to see my boobs and other people dont do it out, and h eats normal food when were out so i dont need to, so just do it at home....at least hes not ocmplaining about it totally, i thought hed be freaking out now that he still is but he doesnt comment anymore about him being bf, in fact if our son is mad, he tells me to just give him my boob and if hes just pinched me or something and i take it away, hand he gets mad, thomas will take it and give it back now!! :O
its the grossest thing in the world, and my boobs were only for him. well, see how thats changed??
some people will change their mind, and some wont, the ones that wont need to get over themselves cause boobs are for babies!! guys liking them is just a bonus!! and either way, just do it, its a wonderful thing for you and your child and nothings wrong with it!! its more right than anything !!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #17
wholesomemama
Registered Users
seller

DS is going to be 20 months in a week, DC#2 is on the way, and we're still going strong! :O)
wholesomemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #18
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll do it until he doesn't want to. No pressure here! We've been breastfeeding for 19.5 months now. I LOVE BREASTFEEDING!
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #19
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

The only way for us to positively influence people about extended breastfeeding is to DO IT!

If more and more American women would breastfeed to begin with (which is the NORMAL way to nourish our children) and if more and more of us would continue until the child wants to stop, then I think breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding would become less and less taboo...

There are plenty of valid reasons why some women cannot or do not breastfeed, but there are so many of us who are lucky to be able to BF so let's keep it up!!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote