Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My OB made me cry

Totally find a new doc. Same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with DS (two OBs made me cry because they said I was fat and lazy, essentially), and I just refused to see them. When push came to shove for my labor, one of those two OBs was on call and she said it wasn't even worthwhile for me to push cut me off at 45 minutes of pushing and started prepping for the OR.

I wish, SO MUCH, that I'd switched practices after that happened. In my local ICAN group, several of the mamas switched so much later, one even at 39 weeks! It's never too late to go somewhere supportive. Do you have a local ICAN chapter? Going to those meetings was really helpful - they know who the best OBs and MWs are, who is supportive and who's only supportive on paper, etc. Best of luck! You CAN do it!

Advertisement

sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
Ola_
Registered Users

How terrible was that! Ugh! I want to smack her for being so mean to you. Really, if the weight has any bearing on a c-section, it would make the surgery more risky for someone who is overweight, not make VBAC more risky.

And maybe you can find some stats on uterine ruptures in your situation - my understanding is that the risk does go up after a c-section, but it's not a huge increase as women who have never had one still have a certain chance of rupture.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
kaysmom
Registered Users

Switch!! My OB has said that he's "supportive" of my VBAC my entire pregnancy, but as it's getting closer to my EDD he's really saying things that make me think he's going to cut me the first chance he gets So, next week (at 32 weeks pregnant) I'm driving an hour to a different clinic/hospital to meet with a Midwife, so you still have time to switch!! My Doula had a client switch at 39w3d
kaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra View Post
Oh, hon, being overweight has nothing to do with a VBAC.

You need to recast this in your mind, okay? You are approaching it as if you have to have permission to have a VBAC. That's not accurate. At all. Any obstetrician has to have your permission to perform surgery on you. You are fully in accordance with ACOG guidelines when it comes to having a vaginal birth. It is not unreasonable to expect your physician to act in accordance with the guidelines of an organization s/he is most likely a part of. And even without that, patient consent is typically legally protected. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I hate it when women start talking about what their doctor will "let" them do. Your uterus, right? Your baby, for whom you will be making major medical decisions for the next two decades, more or less. You would not say "My pediatrician won't let me refuse to circumcise my son", would you? So why even consider "My obstetrician won't let me have a VBAC"?

And yeah, flat-out refuse to see that doctor again.
Dude. I think I love you.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Amy27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's aweful I don't see how some Dr. have a job! You really need to look around if you have a Doula Network in your area call them they can lead you in the right direction. Here's a link to a site that has the current info. on VBAC guidelines. Go to the right side of the margine and it says "New VBAC Guidelines" HTH

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...?Visitor=Woman
Amy, wife to my HS sweetheart Moriah SAHM to Drew 12/8/06 Aubrey-04/29/08 Regan VBAC #1 6/7/11Grady VBAC#2 11/9/12
Amy27 is offline   Reply With Quote