Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any way to prevent Jaundice?

Both my boys had Jaundice. Jordan's was mild, didn't even need the lights. Logan had to be on the lights at the hospital and we had to rent the blanket to take home. As a result, we were in the hospital for 3 days, plus had to sleep with that horrible biliwrap! Is there anything I can do during my pregnancy this time to prevent it??

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any way to prevent Jaundice?

I don't know about during pregnancy, but I do know that they're studies out there that show a link between the Vit. K shot and jaundice.
Did you do Vit. K with the other two? If so, I'd consider doing research about skipping it or at least going with the drops.

My DD was juandiced and had the Vit. K shot. We didn't do vit. K with DS and he wasn't.

BTW, CONGRATS!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy in our last group to be preggo again

Last edited by Layna; 09-28-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

they did both have the shot. everything I read said it's important for boys who are being circ'd. I wanted to decline it, but that and hubby persuaded me. We did decline the eye ointment. So this time, if we're having a girl, we'll definitely decline, and if it's another boy, I'll see about the drops. Thanks!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, it is important for circ'ing. Unless you can wait until after they're 8 days old to circ. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little one had it and also got jaundice. But she was born at 35 weeks so I kind of put it down to her early arrival.

Now that I know a little more about the shot, I will decline. Especially since I will have to formula feed and that stuff is fortified with extra vitamin K anyway.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

my son had the vit k shot and no jaundice...daughter had the vit k shot and again no jaundice.

I heard that if you have previous kids that were jaundice...your next will most likely be jaundice...not much you can do about it.

Our family has a blood condition (spherocytosis...the blood cells are round instead of flat)....this causes a BAD case of jaundce throughout life. Thankfully my kids dont have it.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

from my understanding, the more natural birth you can have, the better the chances are of your baby not having jaundice. i think that when you receive IV fluids, or pitocin, or an epidural, etc. it makes it so that the baby has more impurities in his/her system which can't easily be flushed out. that's what leads to jaundice. (i know i'm not using the medical terms, but it's something along those lines).
Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
memykidsandty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first two babies had the Vit K shot and no jaundice. My 3rd baby had Vit K DROPS and no jaundice. I've never heard that correlation--interesting.

I've always heard to let your baby have 5-10 min of sunshine per day and our ped. told me that the more they nurse and the more they pee/poo, the less they risk being jaundice. I've always followed that advice and never have had a baby with jaundice. I nurse my babies every hour or two in the early days...
DS "L" Apr '09
DD "R" Dec '11
memykidsandty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't have a preemie.

All three of mine were jaundiced and all three were preemies.

Report from Standford Medical:
Does vitamin K cause jaundice?

* There were reports of hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia severe enough to cause kernicterus in the mid 1950s with high doses (50mg) of vitamin K2 (menadione). As a result, use of this form of vitamin K was abandoned. We now give infants vitamin K1 (phytonadione). Vitamin K1 has been associated with hyperbilirubinemia only in high doses (25 30mg) particularly in preemies, though the effect was present to a lesser degree in term infants. This has not been a problem at therapeutic doses, though this concern is why we give babies <1500g a smaller (0.5mg) dose

Kinda interesting.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Mama2B&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read that not cutting the cord right away helps, even if you let it continue pulsing for 3-5 minutes.