Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
teal
Registered Users

How did you choose your labour method?

Ok, I'm probably wording that poorly. This is about the Lamaze, HypnoBabies, Bradley or other birthing methods.

I was thinking that this time around it would be nice to have some better "focusing mechanisms" for labour than just prenatal classes telling me what to expect. Last time around I had a natural labour, no induction, no epi, and a vaginal birth. However, the labour was 25 hours from not being able to sleep through the contractions until DS arrived. I know I could have focused better if I'd known how.

So what did you choose, and how and why did you choose it above the others?

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How did you choose your labour method?

I ultimately chose HypnoBabies, but I thought about Bradley (and I read the Bradley book) because I heard they were both very successful in helping women have drug-free births.

I had a successful homebirth with HypnoBabies and I'm going to use it again when my new babe arrives.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I chose to labor in water and relax- it helped a bunch even though I didn't have a real "method". I also chose to labor alone and not wake my husband. Between the two of those decisions labor progressed very quickly and DD was born after about 15 minutes of pushing in the hospital.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we chose Bradley because our doula offered us a 12 week class in the Bradley Method. I think I personally shyed away from hypnobabies because i thought it was teaching you to "escape" the birth process mentally, and i wanted to be more present and experience everything but relax fully (if that makes sense). i might be wrong about hypnobabies, but that was my impression at the time.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

We chose Bradley and found it EXTREMELY informative and very very eye-opening! It was really useful for almost all of both labors (I say almost b/c once I hit transition, there was NOTHING in the whole wide world that could calm me down).

At the time, I didn't know much about Hypnobabies. I find hypnobabies interesting, but I don't like the idea of hypnosis, so I wouldn't chose it for myself.

Lamaze doesn't fit what we want, b/c I don't feel like it stressed natural birth enough. I also didn't like the idea of focusing your attention to some point in the room and trying to concentrate on that to alleive the pain... that just seemed hoaky to me.

Since I've never taken Lamaze or Hypnobabies, that's just my small understanding of those methods from my personal research.

If you're trying to choose, definately google them all and read their philosophies and see which fits you best!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
mandyh3651
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are using hypnobabies. and personal I love it so far! I have realy baf migrain headaches and the hypnobabies has taught me how to relax and create my own anestisia to help with the pain for my headaches, so im very excited to see how well this will work with birthing. I look forward to doing my hypnobabies pracitce session they are so relaxing and I feel great afterwards!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I chose water and homebirth. However, my labor was long, as was my first. My son was positioned funny in the womb and without turning he would come out, so I labored for about 20 hours before he turned. The water helped inbetween contractions, but during transition I stood and did squats which was awesome.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I was preggo with DD I was looking at Hypnobirthing and Bradley. I chose Hypnobirthing because I felt that it gave me a way to prevent pain as opposed to just dealing with it. In addition, I wanted to do an in-person course and the nutrition classes in Bradley really turned me off as a vegan. A lot of people have a huge misconception that self-hypnosis means you are out of it or that you aren't present for your birth. Nothing could be further from the truth. Self-hypnosis allows you to relax and work with your body. I was completely present at my birth and I feel I was actually MORE focused on what was going on than I would have been otherwise. I was thrilled with my experience with Hypnobirthing both in the classes and when I used it during birth. I'm going to check out Hypnobabies (different than hypnobirthing although originating from the same premise) this time around and see how it goes.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't really choose a method...I read Childbirth Without Fear when I was a teenager (compulsive reader, lol) so natural birth seemed reasonable to me. I know some people have a problem with D!ck-Read's philosophy and attitudes towards women but there is still a lot of good in the book. So when I had my first baby, in the hospital, I knew I could do it. I can't have an epidural because my entire spine is fused so that kind of narrows my options too. I have been fortunate to have quick, easy labors so never really needed anything specific to help me get through. I just do what my body feels like it needs which is mostly walking and laying over the birthing ball.

ETA: The author's name is an obscene word. lol

Last edited by Leah52; 09-29-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
teal
Registered Users

Thanks for all the great responses! Wow! I didn't know there was a difference between hypnobirthing and HypnoBabies... interesting. Are there any other "established" methods out there that I can look at besides hypnobirthing/HypnoBabies, Bradley and Lamaze? I'll be checking out some of those books you mentioned - thanks!