Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help! Anyone used a Midwife? Birthing Center or Home Birth?

So... I have a surrobaby that is almost 6 months old now. I'm just NOW getting a bill for $7,000 that says that they 'reviewed my benefits' and surrogate pregnancy was not covered.

I specifically talked to the Rep to make sure it was covered, and since it was not specifically denied (no writing on it) it meant that it was covered. I'm now 12 weeks pregnant with surrobaby #2, and while being mad that I will probably now owe $7K back to my insurance (grrrrr).. I need to look into my options and stop paying my expensive monthly premium for this insurance.

I'm scared to death just thinking about it. With the last labor, I was SO mad at the DR for not letting me lay how I wanted to during birth, so I of course wanted a more 'natural' path to begin with. I had a drug-free all natural 26 hour labor. I liked it MUCH better then my 32 hour, medicated, epidural, Dr breaking my water, induced labor with my first.

So... I'm mentally OK with a home birth or midwife birth or birthing center. Please tell me your experience with it. I am having a hard time finding midwives or birthing centers close to me, but some are an hour or two away. Since my labors are so long, I'm sure I could get there in plenty of time. I'm sure they won't turn me away because I'm not dialating like the hospital always does. I'm sure they would let me labor there until I deliver.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks Ladies.

Advertisement

Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Anyone used a Midwife? Birthing Center or Home Birth?

wouldn't the intended parents be responsible for your birthing costs?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Amy27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where do you live? I am also having trouble finding midwife services in my area and I live in Northern Indiana. I can go to a hospital and have a midwide there but I am not sure of the cost. I know if you have a midwife attend a homebirth it is only about $3,000 and that includes prenatal visits. I just googled Indiana midwives or Indiana Birth Centers to find them in my area and there are only 3. I will be trying for a VBAC so I have to go to the hospital b/c they d/n do VBACs in the birthing centers which they are all 1-2 hrs away. HTH
Amy, wife to my HS sweetheart Moriah SAHM to Drew 12/8/06 Aubrey-04/29/08 Regan VBAC #1 6/7/11Grady VBAC#2 11/9/12
Amy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy27 View Post
Where do you live? I am also having trouble finding midwife services in my area and I live in Northern Indiana. I can go to a hospital and have a midwide there but I am not sure of the cost. I know if you have a midwife attend a homebirth it is only about $3,000 and that includes prenatal visits. I just googled Indiana midwives or Indiana Birth Centers to find them in my area and there are only 3. I will be trying for a VBAC so I have to go to the hospital b/c they d/n do VBACs in the birthing centers which they are all 1-2 hrs away. HTH
I live in Kalamazoo. They have Kalamazoo Home Birth, but I didn't like the doulas/midwives they have. I have heard there have been many home births in the area, so I'm sure there are good midwives here somewhere!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had DD at a in-hospital birthing center. No doctors, just MWs and doulas. I had a fabulous experience. I didn't have to write a birth plan or fight for anything because everything I wanted in a birth was standard practice. I wasn't strapped to a monitor, I was free to eat and drink whenever, I had access to all sorts of nice birth "tools" (birth tub, stool, ball, etc.), I had a regular wooden queen size bed (no crummy hospital bed!), the environment was calm and quiet, I could labor in whatever position I wanted, DH was allowed to "catch" the baby if he wanted to, and the midwives were fabulous. I'm going back for the upcoming birth of DS in January.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Kririee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://michiganmidwives.net/

http://michiganmidwives.org/links/ this link has lots of good stuff and may also help you find a local mw for kazoo.

I have worked with several mw in the GR area but not in kazoo, you cant go wrong with the GR ones they rock. My fave is Shannon Pawson CPM but I'm not sure if she'd travel to kazoo you'd have to ask.

GL

OPEN NOW!!!!!
Kririee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a midwife attended homebirth 5 months ago. LOVED it! Much better than my hospital birth. I too have long labors, #1 was 27 hours and #2 was 24 hours. My Midwife lived 1 hour and 45 minutes from me. My Midwife was an idependant one, she didn't work for a hospital, birth center or a group (she used to be a CNM though, but didn't like the hospital based work). Sometimes the best Midwives are from word of mouth, so I would talk to other Doulas or childbirth educators and see if they know anyone. Also in natural parenting stores and even in some natural/organic food stores you'll find business cards of Midwives, Doulas, etc.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Had a hospital birth with a "midwife" the first time. Treated like dirt, roughly handled, disrespected, talked "down" to the whole time, hurried through labor, broke my water b'c I wasn't going "fast enough", then refused to stop when I begged, screamed and cried for her to get her hands out of me, not allowed to eat or drink the whole time, had to lay on my back to push b/c it was "hospital policy". I could go on.

Planned a birth center birth second time around, but found that the birth center was too controlled by the hospital OBs for my taste and the MWs there seemed too pushy for my taste. Switched care at 20+ wks, Had a homebirth with an independent MIDWIFE. Will never, EVER return to hospital to birth again, aside from any emergency situation. NEVER.

Third time - homebirth planned from the beginning. No regrets, no fear, I feel very confident in my decision.

I know some mamas have great experiences with in-hospital MWs. Mine was just awful. I can't even think of those women as midwives because in my mind, they misrepresent what a midwife should be and should stand for. I prefer a hands-off (unless necessary) approach. I want them there to detect an emergency and be the guardian of safety for me and my child, not to dictate to me what has to happen, or to pressure me any which way, or to make any rules about how I "can" or "cannot" birth. My body, my baby, my choice. For me, this means NO hospitals.

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-01-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

I had DD in a freestanding birth center w/ midwives and DH. We are having our second at home, an hour away from anything, the standard charge around here is about $3,500 but if you pay cash it's closer to $2,700.

Our birth center birth was amazing, everything was natural and mellow and just perfect for us. The birth center here has now moved and is very hospital like, I've started my prenatal care there but def do not want to give birth in that environment and we now live in a house in the country as apposed to an apartment.

Good Luck Momma!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Had DS#2 at a waterbirthing center.. only one midwife... Alone in a quiet old home turned birthing center. Cool breeze comign in the window, floating in a warm tub, listening in to David Gray and buring oils..... OMG. The pain, LOL. But the experience will be carried with me forever. Loved it.