Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Snacks from Scratch?

Things are changing around here, meaning a tighter budget. We have a full pantry right now and I want to make sure we get the most bang for our buck for sure!
We like to keep frozen snacks like pizzas and such to reheat and eat. I need some homemade from scratch snacks I can make for us to have around and save some money since processed snacks end up costing a lot in the end!

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Snacks from Scratch?

What about crackers: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...rs-recipe.html I use my ravioli pasta roller for them because it cuts them, which really saves time. We also use cookie cutters to make themin to cute shapes. And I add sesame seeds to the dough.

Tortillas? I posted my favorite recipe in this forum a few days ago.

We make all brownies, cookies, cakes and so on from scratch. I really like the Hershey's cookbook. And I think cocoa is good for you. We use whole grains for the flour, too.

We make bread from scratch. Pasta from scratch. Butter from scratch (the cost is the same, except you get the buttermilk free!). Refried beans from scratch. Biscuits.

Can you plant a garden or fruit trees? Then you get veggies and fruit free! GL!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Popcorn made on the stove is cheaper than microwave.
Also granola bars
Chex Mix/puppy chow/rice krispy treats are all cheaper when purchased with boxes of cereal (use coupons) instead of ready made.
When making batches of things like cookies, brownies, etc., I immediately freeze half the batch for another day. DH and the kids don't miss the extra, but if it were laying around they would eat it. Now you have snack for 2 days for the same money.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
dogpaws
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
When making batches of things like cookies, brownies, etc., I immediately freeze half the batch for another day. DH and the kids don't miss the extra, but if it were laying around they would eat it. Now you have snack for 2 days for the same money.
i've been thinking this would work since we always eat it ALL right away....and definately don't need to!!!! great idea
Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
What about crackers: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...rs-recipe.html I use my ravioli pasta roller for them because it cuts them, which really saves time. We also use cookie cutters to make themin to cute shapes. And I add sesame seeds to the dough.

Tortillas? I posted my favorite recipe in this forum a few days ago.

We make all brownies, cookies, cakes and so on from scratch. I really like the Hershey's cookbook. And I think cocoa is good for you. We use whole grains for the flour, too.

We make bread from scratch. Pasta from scratch. Butter from scratch (the cost is the same, except you get the buttermilk free!). Refried beans from scratch. Biscuits.

Can you plant a garden or fruit trees? Then you get veggies and fruit free! GL!
Can I come live with you?

BTW, I have this cute hello kitty popcorn maker (from target) that was cheap and works SO well! It has a non'stick bottom and a rotating arm that mixes the kernels. I make my popcorn with plain veggie oil and sea salt and it tastes amazing and stays fresher longer than that gross bagged microwave popcorn.

Making your own granola is easy. I used to eat tons of granola and yogurt for breakfast - fast, easy, yummy!

I generally don't snack. I usually eat small meals if I am hungry, so I like to make something that will last in the fridge for a couple of days - pasta salad, chicken salad (for sandwiches), hummus (I eat it with pita bread), etc. All are easy and cheap to make.

ETA: You should try my pound cake recipe - it is so good. DH LOVES it, and it really ties him over between meals. It isn't super sweet like cookies and brownies (which I love too), so it is a great snack. Plus, you can wrap, freeze, and defrost it very easily!

Here is a good one too - get large bags of frozen berries (especially when they are on sale). Add some juice, banana, yogurt, and honey, blend and you have a yummy smoothie! It is FULL of great vitamins and anti-oxidants too! The only thing is that I don't like blackberries in my smoothies - too seedy for me.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-03-2010 at 09:32 AM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
redvlagrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You've had great suggestions. We also do all of our baking and breads from scratch.

You can bake mini (or large, LOL) muffins and freeze them then defrost as required. Homesmade waffles also freeze and toast well.

You could do mini pizzas on ww English muffins and freeze them. I bet if you put them in the oven from frozen at a slightly lower temp they would be fine.

Homemade pate freezes well, as does hummus. If you're making it, it is no harder to make a big batch.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
nw mummy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We make our own granola bars, cracker and graham crackers and the kids love them. They like that they get to decide what goes into them -I like that there is a lot less complaining since they help make them.
nw mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
Hugz
Registered Users

I made my own chicken nuggets/tender strips. I just wait until chicken breast fillets are on super cheap special. I cut them into appropriate sizes, flour egg and breadcrumb, then freeze in a single layer until frozen, then shake into appropriate serve sizes. To jazz them up, I add whatever dried herbs I have into the crumb mix, sometimes I add kraft "parmesan" or use cornflake crumbs instead of bread crumbs. Italian style herbs and parmesan are good for quick-and-dirty chicken parmigana (cook then add spagetti sauce and cheese). 15mins in a moderate-hot oven and their done.
Hugz is offline   Reply With Quote