Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need preschool advice

I enrolled my 4 yr old in a preschool program 25 mins away from my home b/c it was the only one I could get her into. Today was her first day. I didnt realize what a deal it would be for me. I had to leave a 1/2 hr early to get her there, then MT Aidan and carry Sophia plus hold Olivia's hand (and backpack) to get inside the place. Then go up a flight of stairs (this is why I didnt get out my stroller). Then the teacher doesn open the door and accept kids till exactly at 1230. So by the time I got back to my van I thought My arm was gonna fall off from holding Sophia. We got back home and then only get an hour and 15 mins or so before I have to go back. I put sophia down for a nap but had to wake her and poor Aidan hasnt even had one. I go back to get her and am told she peed her pants and I shoudl have taken her before I brought her. She is potty trained and has been for quite some time. We even went to Chuck E cheese for 4 hours and had no problems. I told her I took and the gal said "did she actually pee?" Again, i said yes. Then she tells me I need to arrive earlier and take her pee there. How the heck am I gonna take her pee there with two other kids under the age of two!!!!!

So we get to the van and I aask her why she peed her pants and she told me that it was an accident and that there were no little potties. When I enrolled her I told them she would only use the potty if it was the small kid toilets or if she had her own soft potty seat that fits on teh adults toilets. They assured me that she would use the kid potties. She is telling me they didnt take her there and that the bathroom was noisy. I also told them when I enrolled her that she is very sound sensitive. She is legally blind in one eye and her hearing has increased from the loss of vision. They assured me that was no problem. Im really upset about this.

I called the school across from us where I have been on a waiting list for 3 mos and left a vm for the gal to see if there was room for her there. Im not sure what to do. Do I send her back on thursday or keep trying to get her into the school across the street.

She hasnt had a potty accident in months and months. Its just not like her.

advice?

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need preschool advice

So sorry this happened.

Mothers instincts are hardly ever wrong. Do what your heart is telling you whether it be keep her there or try elsewhere.
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Carrie
Registered Users

I wouldn't send her back. It sounds like it is hard on you other kids and her as well.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she absolutely loved it which is why I enrolled her. I called the preschool across the street yesterday and am waiting for a return call. I would love to get her in there b/c its thru the school district and they already know of her issues.

I woke up this morning soooooo sore from hauling all of them in and out and up stairs...lol My arms are out of shape.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
2Boys1Girl4Me
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I'd take her out right away if it was me. I'd let her go back tomorrow and see how it goes. If possible, try to talk to them today or tomorrow morning and find out if she can be taken for a potty break on her own so the noise doesn't bother her.

They probably just need to be reminded of her needs. Do what you feel is best for her though
Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

her next day to go is thurs but they are closed for inservice day so she wont go back till next thurs. I did ask if someoen could take her and was told that there are 16 kids and only two teachers and that unless she would go by herself, she would have to go with the other kids. She wont go by herself, too scared. Imagine only having one eye to see out of, you cant anticipate noises and such around you plus when one of you senses declines others pick up. She can hear certain vehicles from the highway in our home with doors and windows shut that I never hear. so a flushing toilet or echos in the bathroom are extremelyloud and scary.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
2Boys1Girl4Me
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Taking all that into consideration, I'd look for a different preschool. That's sad that they won't accomodate her needs. It definitely doesn't sound like a good fit for her. I hope you find a place that works better for you guys!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she just told me she would rather do swimming than preschool. So I guess Im unenrolling her...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ss ... maybe use your sling when running up and down the stairs
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Boys1Girl4Me View Post
Taking all that into consideration, I'd look for a different preschool. That's sad that they won't accomodate her needs. It definitely doesn't sound like a good fit for her. I hope you find a place that works better for you guys!
Honestly, as a preschool director, I would withdraw her. I understand that she needs extra help, but I also understand that they can't (legally) leave one teacher in a room with 15 kids to take one to the potty. My preschool has bathrooms (with small potties) connected to each room, which make it much easier on the kids and the teachers. It sounds like they told you that they couldn't take her by herself when you enrolled her, so you should have anticipated that they wouldn't change their minds when she got there. Preschools just aren't a one-size-fits-all deal. Some are more laid back, some are more structured, some offer different emphasis than others, etc. Keep looking until you find one that works for you. Will she start public or private kindergarten this fall? If so, I would suggest that you keep trying to find something for her so she can grow accustomed to the sounds and experiences of school before then, to make it an easier transition...