Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: spastic diaper changes!

I always have something on hand either a nice soft diaper to eat or a toy but it has to be a toy that is not played with often for an older child

Advertisement

ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's_mama View Post
I do most of our diaper changes on the bed so I can pin DS down with my left knee and then use my right foot to hold the diaper in place, while I try to get that sucker closed up as quickly as possible. Once the dipe is on (we use a lot of pfs and some fitteds), I hold him and try to soothe him before I get the cover on - which needs to go on while he's standing up because if I try to lay him back down, he has a fit. . .and that's not so easy to do with a 6 month old who can't stand yet or lift up one foot/leg on command. For DH, it works to just make ridiculous monkey or hiccupping noises - that seems to always put the boy in hysterics. When mama tries to make silly noises, he just looks at her like she's crazy. GL mama!
....sounds like a game of Twister! Left foot baby, right foot diaper! Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Harley is like that sometimes, but he is starting to communicate more and notice when he is wet/dirty. I usually ask him if he has 'pee pee' or 'poop poop'....don't laugh, he likes it that way, for some reason he responds better and has a better understanding of what I'm talking about if I repeat it like that...: . Anyway....I think this works better for us because he isn't abruptly taken from what he is doing and he feels more like he has a choice ya know? Like I ask him if he is wet/dirty and he almost always tells me he is (even if he isn't) and then I say, 'okay, come here and Mommy will change your diaper' I even let him go pick a diaper and bring it to me if he wants.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
NatureandNurture
Registered Users
Formerly: Falls-Acre
seller

Di is starting to be that way a little. Two things help I've found. 1 is to nurse her a little before changing so she's not thinking that I'm trying to starve her while cleaning her up. The other I haven't gotten yet, but will soon (I hope). The wipes are icy cold and she always shrieks when it touches her. I had fresh solution made up last night and it was warm. I noticed she didn't flinch a bit with that stuff, so I'm going to get a wipes warmer.

Amiguramist extraordinaire!
http://hyenacart.com/NatureandNurture/
NatureandNurture is offline   Reply With Quote