Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
son.et.lumiere
Registered Users
seller

Informal milk donation

Hi there,

I have low supply due to IGT and have been supplementing my four month old daughter. We've tried milkshare with some success, but we are running out of milk and she gets very constipated on formula. There are no milk banks in our area, and we would not be able to afford the prices they charge. I have been looking across Quebec, Ontario and New England but I can't seem to find any more resources for milk sharing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Advertisement

son.et.lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Re: Informal milk donation

Have you checked out milkshare.forumotion.com? That's what I used to donate my extra milk to local mamas.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
melanalyus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a beautiful baby you have!

Wished we lived closer, I'd love to help you out.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No help as I'm in Texas, but go to Milkshare and be persistent in finding someone.

If you are willing to pay for shipping there is often some states that have an abundance of milk for the area. Give it a try.
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
son.et.lumiere
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I've been using milkshare for a couple of months, and I have had some luck. I stalk the willing to ship forum, but most of the time I don't get any replies. I think the milk just goes so fast and the mamas don't reply to all of the messages once it's gone (I am always very kind and polite so I don't think it's that). I will have to start posting in individual state's forums and see if anyone there can ship.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
melliepie
Registered Users

Hi, I recognized that beautiful little face. Oh its Melodie just in case you didn't know.

Last edited by melliepie; 10-01-2010 at 10:15 PM.
melliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm donating to a baby who is just like yours. She is mostly on formula, but gets a little of my milk each day to keep her from getting constipated. I actually got hooked up with her through a doula I know. Are there any connections you have in the area, LLL or something like that? Maybe get involved where you can and see if you can make some connections and get some that way. I'd keep trying on milkshare too. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
son.et.lumiere
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliepie View Post
Hi, I recognized that beautiful little face. Oh its Melodie just in case you didn't know.

Hi Melodie! Everyone, Melodie is one of the wonderful mamas who found me on milkshare. She deserves a lot of credit for 21 ounces my little one gained this month (that is a TON for her)! So nice to see you here. I got your email, and you've saved my butt for another few weeks! <3

HeatherlovesCDs: Kudos to you for donating! We need more generous moms like you and Melodie. Ruby used to be ok as long as she was getting half breast milk, but it's become so bad that one bottle makes her constipated. I'm really at a loss as to why that has happened. I'm in touch with a leader at the closest LLL group, and she's been helping us "off the record" when she can. I'm actually a breastfeeding support mom for Nourri-Source, very much like a French version of LLL.

I'm kind of embarrassed that I'm having this much trouble finding milk! To be fair, we supplement a LOT, so it's difficult to keep up. Hopefully with all of the contacts I have, we will be able to get by until she's able to tolerate solids and dairy. Thanks so much for the support and advice, mamas!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wonder if there's a French equivalent of milkshare since you are in Montreal? I used to pass through Montreal a lot but that was some years ago now and before I had children!

Sorry you're having trouble finding contacts.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
melliepie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by son.et.lumiere View Post
Hi Melodie! Everyone, Melodie is one of the wonderful mamas who found me on milkshare. She deserves a lot of credit for 21 ounces my little one gained this month (that is a TON for her)! So nice to see you here. I got your email, and you've saved my butt for another few weeks! <3
Awe thanks, it's my pleasure, glad I found such a great person to help out.
P.s. This Momma is awesome if anyone has some milk to donate.