Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
~megan~
Registered Users

What to do when away from home?

DD is 25 months and has been doing really well using the potty when we are at home and she can go around diaper/pants free.

My questions are 1) how do we make the leap from using the potty at home to using it in other places, i.e. church, while out shopping, etc. and 2) do you bring a potty with you everywhere you go? That seems a cumbersome solution to me, maybe there is something else out there I don't know about?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for helping her to keep her panties dry, I would appreciate it. Like I said, she does great if she is naked on the bottom, but when we try to add panties into the mix she is more prone to accidents. Should I just read her cues and take this slow, or do I need to be more adamant about underwear?

TIA!

Advertisement

Wife to DH , Mama to Eleanor , #2 EDD 3/18/11
I've earned $30 in Paypal and $40 at Amazon so far using SWAGBUCKS! Be my friend, pretty please
IHA: Covers, Fitteds
~megan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
ottomamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: What to do when away from home?

How is she about sitting on real toilets? We've never brought potty chairs with us, we just use a toilet and I squat down in front of her and put my hands on her hips so she doesn't fall in. Or else they make fold up potty seat rings. If she only wants to use a potty chair, Ikea makes cheap, tiny ones that work good for that purpose...you could just keep one in the car.
I can't help out with the panty question. My DD hates being wet no matter what she's wearing so I have no clue!
Sounds like you're making great progress - good luck!
ottomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
clothafter3?
Registered Users

I bought a "Potette" portable potty. It folds up, fits uncer the seat and I pop it opn in parking lots and various places. he loves it and I have gotten my moneys worth!! I bought it at BRU.
Amy
clothafter3? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did our first public restroom pee yesterday. I just held my DS over the toilet. We don't use a little potty at home either though. He goes on the big toilet using one of those little seats that goes over the big one.
For underwear, we only did bare bum around the house for the first little bit. Once he started getting a little better at holding it I put him in undies or sweatpants around the house to get him used to it. He still had a few accidents but now he's all good. Don't worry, she'll get used to it. But I would recommend stopping the bare bum time at home. Time for the next step.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subbing for ideas and help.....
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
SpanishBella
Registered Users
Formerly: yd***on
seller

My Mood:

We have a travel potty and it works great!
SpanishBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
laurenmichelle
Registered Users
seller

we bring a potty ring...that way I have enough hands to hold him and aim him in the right direction, so to speak. without the potty ring, it was too much to coordinate...to keep him from falling in and keep him from peeing all over!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
gwyn779
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Initially we took a potty ring w/ us (a cheap Cars one from Target) that fit fairly well in the diaper bag. Now we just hold him in public bathrooms, but we actually hold him over the side of the seat, not the front, because the gap was hard for him to manage, so the other way it's just a solid seat like he's used to. On long trips, we take his Baby Bjorn potty chair so we can just pull over and have him use that.
gwyn779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
dandasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Is she going to the potty farther between times? I always had DD go on the potty before we went somewhere. I did notice that more time was passing between when she was going to the potty. I just always carried a change of clothes, in case. You might try padding her panties with something just in case too. I started off with short trips.

Also, public toilets can be scary to little ones, especially those with motion sensors on them. A trick I haven't tried but heard of is to carry one of those little pads of post-it notes. Peel one off and put it over the sensor so it doesn't flush in the middle of her sitting on it. They make folding potty seats that go over the toilet but I've found they don't always fit.
dandasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
dandasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Oh but if we are out for the day where I know she may not be able to get to the potty as often, then I will take one with us. I have a traditional potty with a bucket thing that can be dumped and also a travel potty with legs that fold down and a plastic bag (I know, not very environmentally friendly) with nursing pads and stuff to soak up the pee. I usually use that one for poop though.
dandasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote