Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
epaashaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
wanting to give up... help!

i used to love bfing and so did my daughter who is now almost 4 months. lately she is just so distracted that she barely eats. after trying to get her to eat for a while she will just start crying. she is better at night when she is half asleep and will eat for 10-15 min but during the day the longest i've gotten her to nurse recently is maybe 4 min. it is so frustrating!!! she's fussy because she is hungry, then she is fussy because she doesn't want to be laying at my boob! my husband doesn't have this problem at all when he feeds her with a bottle. this is no longer rewarding and it doesn't seem like she is getting enough to eat on her days with me. she is with me 4 days a week and then i work 3 days and pump when i am there. i don't want to pump and give her bottles when i am home because it is hard to pump when she wants me to hold her all the time. what to do? i have tried taking her into a dark quiet room to nurse whenever possible which helps a teeny bit, but not much. should i stop stressing and assume she will eat if she is hungry? or is there something i should try to get her to nurse better? also i am worried that there just isn't enough milk in there and thats why she eats so little. i still pump plenty when i am at work but i think maybe the stress of failing at feeding her is keeping my production low when i am at home. any advice???

Advertisement

epaashaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: wanting to give up... help!

She may be learning to nurse more efficiently, so she doesn't have to nurse for such long periods of time as she did when she was younger. It is trickier once babies start to get wiggly and that's also the age where babies start to teeth. I wouldn't worry too much if you are still getting a lot of milk when you pump and it sounds like she's nursing really well at night and feeding well when your DH is watching her too.

There are a number of reasons why she could be fussing (growth spurt, teething, getting sick, etc.) She could also be going through a phase of being a little bit of a daddy's girl and fussing because he's not around and it has nothing to do with nursing. I know my DD has been doing that some lately. Sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work mama!
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

If you are able to pump lots with no problem, then don't worry about your supply when you are at home. I find that when babies don't eat well the first thing we think of is the supply, but really there is likely nothing wrong with that. I am sure that if you pumped after a poor feeding session you would find that you still have lots there (try it a couple of time to reassure yourself if you need to, that is what I had to do before I realized that DS was "tricking" me)

Have you tried a breast feeding necklace? Some thing to keep her entertained while you are BF?
Best of Luck!

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

4 months enters the distractible baby syndrome. Be patient, she will outgrow it. Her world has suddenly gotten muc bigger than just your breasts and she is takign it all in. try and nurse her in a quiet place. I find that during that stage, the side lying position helps, alot!
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

Its much like teething, biting, sleeping issues, ect. They all pass with time.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

You've gotten awesome and on target advice Just wanted to offer and say my now 2 year old got to a point where he could nurse in 3-5 minutes flat around 4-5 months and it stayed that way during the day!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Ivette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ummm she may just want the bottle instead of nursing, i BF both my 1st two my 3rd was hard i was so stressed out with having two little ones under 3 trying to bf the newborn at about 2 months i started to give her a bottle of my milk to buy me some time to do other things, like sit down and poop hahahaha, or take a long awaited shower, anyhow she is now 5 months and will fuss when i try to nurse her however she will just take the bottle. Oh well i say as mothers we do whats best for us, anyhow my milk supply has dropped, i now prepare for her every morning raw milk formula, what a pain in the behind to have to wash bottles, make the milk, prepare it for outings, arrrgghhh!!!, it was so much easier to BF.
Ivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
nangel5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
4 months enters the distractible baby syndrome. Be patient, she will outgrow it. Her world has suddenly gotten muc bigger than just your breasts and she is takign it all in. try and nurse her in a quiet place. I find that during that stage, the side lying position helps, alot!
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

Its much like teething, biting, sleeping issues, ect. They all pass with time.
The side laying position helped us tremendously. Also my baby finishes up a lot quicker than she used to. Might just be an age thing. Hope things get better. Good luck!
nangel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What size nipple do you have on the bottle. If it isn't a size 1 it may be dumping milk in her so fast, that nursing is a ton of work. Just a thought
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
epaashaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the advice and support. maybe she is just a quick eater. what is a breastfeeding necklace? something specific or just a cool looking necklace for the baby to look at? i'll have to check the nipple size on the bottle. it was a gift so i don't even know! thanks everyone!
epaashaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
nangel5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A nursing necklace gives the baby something to play with while nursing. It helps keep them focused on eating and not everything else thats going on. The one I have is also a teether she can chew on while not feeding.
nangel5 is offline   Reply With Quote