Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
neanea
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy Positive Fetal Fibronectin Test... : (

Hi all...
So I am 26 weeks, I started having contractions that hurt my cervix this week so I went to the doctor... She said that my baby turned head down and that I was indeed having contractions (5 in a half hour). She checked me and I am not dilating and the cervix is still closed, she sent me in for an ultrasound to confirm. She also did a Fetal Fibronectin Test that came back positive! She told me to lay around all weekend and drink lots of water, I will see her on Monday.

Should I be worried? I feel kinda stressed...

I really need the labor to wait till at least December (yes I know they come when they want!: ) I am going into my third week of nursing school first quarter! December is the end of the quarter and when I will have a break! Plus of course he will be 36weeks by that point much better for him! My first two babies were late! I never dreamed he would try to come early...

Does anyone have experience with this? should I just take it easy but go about my normal routine (good news is I have a lot to read and study!) ? HELP stress isn't good either!

Advertisement

neanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Re: Positive Fetal Fibronectin Test... : (

I have no clue what that is, but I'll say a prayer for you and your little boy
Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
neanea
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks!
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had positive FFN every time my peri did the test (started @ 24 w). I didn't deliver until 34w2d and that was considered a success given my pregnancy history (27 wk dd then 26 week ds). A positive test is considered inconclusive, just means you're not for sure not going into labor, not that you likely are either. Make sense??? I really put little faith in the test. I had negatives with my 26 wk pregnancy and positives with my 34w, go figure.

Last edited by katedanzer; 10-02-2010 at 11:03 AM.
katedanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The test isn't always for sure, concrete, yes of course you will go into labor. It doesn't always indicate anything GOOD either.

With my 36 weeker, it was positive at 30 weeks... nothing. Weeks passed by. I didn't even feel any contractions, no gush of fluid, nada. Went to my 36 week checkup, what do you know - I'm 4, nearly 5 cm dilated!!

With my 33 weeker, it was negative. I had her within 2 weeks.

to you. Rest and drink water like the doctor says. I hope you get good news Monday.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
newMama9.08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama--
I haven't had a positive test, so I don't have experience, but I would just try to take it easy a much as possible, remind your baby/your body out loud or in your mind that inside is a wonderful place to be, and trust that your body has done this before and will hopefully keep on cooking your little one. Sending up prayers for you and your son.
newMama9.08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedanzer View Post
I had positive FFN every time my peri did the test (started @ 24 w). I didn't deliver until 34w2d and that was considered a success given my pregnancy history (27 wk dd then 26 week ds). A positive test is considered inconclusive, just means you're not for sure not going into labor, not that you likely are either. Make sense??? I really put little faith in the test. I had negatives with my 26 wk pregnancy and positives with my 34w, go figure.
Yep - this!!

The positive is simply "not a negative". You want the negative because the negative is a 96% chance that you will not go into labor in the next two weeks. There is always the 4% chance with a negative - but that is still great odds.

So you really want a negative just because it gives you more information.

If you aren't dilating or effacing that is excellent.

Quick Question???? You aren't allowed to do a FFN until 24 hrs after any kind of vaginal activity (exam, sex . . . ). Did the doc wait??? If not that could be your positive.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I hope that it means nothing *hugs* I never had a positive ffn
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

OK mama, don't worry!!! Worrying will make it worse. FFN is only one of many factors that could indicate labor, and it's just more information that will help your doctors keep you pregnant longer.

My cousin's FFN came back positive at about your same number of weeks and she ended up with a 36 weeker! They joked that she was going to have to be induced but ended up going into labor the day before. Take it easy, visualize keeping baby in there, rest and relax!
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yup, sex, exams, checking your own cervix in the 24 to 48 hours prior can give a false positive.

I have had 3 positive FFNs and delivered at 35, 39, and 40 weeks with those pregnancies.

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote