Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Eszti
Registered Users
seller

How often does your 5 month old nurse?

We recentley had dinner with friends who have a 5 months old son.He was born the same night as my DD,actually we were laboring next to each other's room in the hospital,and were next to one another in recovery.She told me that her son only nurses 4 times a day now,and that's it.No solids yet.I was in shock!!My baby still nurses a ton!!Pretty much every 3 hours,and sometimes even more!
How many times does your baby nurse?Should I try to make her go longer between feedings?

Advertisement

Eszti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How often does your 5 month old nurse?

I feed on demand. My lo is 6m and still eats every 2-3 hours...even if she has had solids that day. I guess that goes to show every baby is different. hth
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
brewanothercup
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are days we only nurse 4x a day at 4 months, but that's cause he gets 3 or 4 bottles of EBM at daycare...
brewanothercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're schedulers here. At 5 months mine are transitioning from every 3.5hrs to every 4hrs and have been sleeping through at night for 2-3 months. So mine are eating 5-6 times per day, and going 11P-7A without eating or waking. Definitely a little early for 4 feedings per day though I have one very good friend who has been able to be down to 4 feedings at 5 months with 4 of her 8 children and they've been little chunkers. We say she makes straight buttercream!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't counted in a while. My twins will be 6 months in a few days. They aren't eating any solids. They eat every 3 hrs or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. They sleep from about 11 to 6 without. My rough guess is they eat 6-8 times a day. 4 doesn't sound like enough, but, every baby and mom is different. If they aren't having any issues with weight gain or supply issues, it's fine. I would have supply issues for sure doing that. More power to her if she doesn't.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feed on demand, she probably eats around six times a day on average.
MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
jiniphur
Registered Users
seller

Wow, Iam jelous. My dd just turned 5 months and she eats every 2 hours around the clock!! She is exhuasting and I've been thinking about starting solids.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

4x a day is incredible... and not very wise. Even if her baby is growing well and is satisfied, I would be very curious to see how her supply manages and how long that baby will continue to nurse. I have foudn babues who nurse infrequently and less tahn 8x a day are more likely to have a nursing strike, wean early or become failure to thrive. As a breastfeeding momma you should at least offer the breast 8-12x a day. if baby refuses, thats one thing. Hopefully she isn't just waiting for cues to nurse, and she IS offering... Some babies are happy to starve (although rare)

while you can try and distract your baby with toys and such to try and get her to go 3hrs or whatever you really should try and get in at least 8 sessions. Some people do really well with 6 (if baby sleeps thru the night) but its about your supply too.... You don't want to be at the 9month mark and drying up from lack of stimulation (if feeding to a year is your goal)
Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
nangel5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd just turned 6 months and still feeds about every 2-3 hours, but the actual nursing time seems to have shortened. She sleeps between 10-12 hrs a night and naps very little during the day. So it seems that every baby is different.
nangel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Eszti
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for the responses!It made me feel much better knowing I'm not the only one who's baby nurses a ton at that age!

You all were wondering about her baby's size!He is off the chart for both height and weight for his age!I think she must be making heavy cream,LOL!!
Eszti is offline   Reply With Quote