Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Newborn Hep. vax??

Okay, I havn't had a baby in over 5 years. I dont recall any of my babies haveing a vaccination right after birth. I wasn't "non vaxing" back then. But sure am now. What should I expect? Do I need to make sure *they* know I will not be allowing any vaccinations before I go into labor. I've never heard of this before. Is it even true? Please give me your experiences. Whether you are a vaxing momma or not. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn Hep. vax??

Honestly, I expected DD to get the Hep B vax in the hospital, but nobody ever said anything to me about it so I assumed she didn't get it. When I finally though to ask about it at her 1yr well baby check the doc said according to her chart, she did get the vax. If you don't want it (I was ok with getting the vax, btw, just wish somebody had asked me about it) I'd definitely mention it to the L/D staff, your ped, your OB, and anyone else who will listen. Maybe even put it in writing just to be sure.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i had it down in writing somewhere. i don't think i had a birth plan, but if you do definitely put it in there. don't let the baby out of your room. all hospital 'procedures' can be done in your room with you attending. you can say no to anything you want. it's YOUR baby, not the nurses! my boys did not get the vax. i think (i had a c-s and can't remember much ) that they asked me about it and i just said no. i do remember talking to the on staff ped about not vaxing in general. he disagreed but was not pushy or anything and said he had many clients that didn't vax. he was really a great guy.

congrats on your baby! how exciting.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
AmyEm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was asked both times and I declined both times without any fuss from the Dr or nurses.

We did partially vaccinate our first but I was completely opposed to giving Hep B at birth. We haven't vaccinated our second child at all.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was asked both times- but you could put it on your birth plan
Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was asked to give verbal consent in the 50 million questions I was asked at check in. I declined (I vax but didn't think a newborn vax was necessary). One nurse started yelling at me how my baby wouldn't be able to go to school w/out the vax (DH was there or I would have argued with her that yes, non-vaxed kids can go to school and I was only delaying it) but other than that no one bothered me about it. My doc was fine with waiting.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We declined it. The first nurse we talked to acted like we were insane, but I didn't care. My son was 4lbs 7oz at the time, he didn't need toxins injected into him!!

No one else bothered us about it. DH actually asked about it before we left and the nurse then told us that since he hadn't had it within the first day or whatever, we didn't need to bother with it until his first set of shots at 2 months.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

yeah, they asked us while i was in labor a whole bunch of questions, and that was one of them. i declined it, and they had no problems with it.

we are partially/delayed vaxing now, but you couldn't pay me to vaccinate a brand spankin new baby.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I just was listening to a radio show and they were talking about how hospitals try to give the Hep B vax within 3 hours of the birth. I was thinking, I better tell them before hand, because things can get hectic within the first 3 hours. I dont even know if my other two babies got it, I was never asked, but I wouldn't be suprized if it *just happened*. Anyways, thanks for the info!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We simply refused to sign for it and we are on a very delayed vaxing schedule because of autisim in the family and they were fine with that.