Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
nina730
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help with milk allergy

im pretty sure my 2 month old has a milk allergy. at first i thought it was a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but she didnt get much better. so ive been trying to cut out all dairy in my diet. she's really good for 2 days or so, then has a day of being HORRIBLE. about once a week ive seen the green poop come back, but ive never seen blood.
im just wondering if she really doesnt have a milk allergy and something else is bothering her, or if im eating dairy by mistake. ive read up on a non-dairy diet, but it seems so confusing. instead of telling me what i cant eat, because there's so much of that, can some please tell me what i CAN eat?
if someone could just give me 4 or 5 foods that are safe ill eat only those foods for the next 10 months. i just dont have the energy/time to figure this all out and im thinking of giving up breastfeeding. my pediatrician is a moron and is no help, i need to find a new one.
thanks

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
LovnMyBoys
Registered Users
seller

Re: help with milk allergy

I would remove soy as well as lots of dairy sensitive babes also have a soy sensitivity. My favourite alternative milk is almond milk. Coconut milk makes yummy ice cream and I just discovered can also be whipped for a yummy whipped cream. Go basic with meats, veggies and rice/potatoes until you get comfortable reading labels. Some literature reccomends eliminating beef when eliminating dairy.
If that doesn't help, you may want to read up on the elimination diet (Dr. Sears).
Good luck. It really is daunting at first but it does get easier.
www.kidswithfoodallergies.com is a great resource.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
MamaGlow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go with what Rebecca said-- meat, veg, fruit, potato/rice. simple basic food.

Hidden dairy is hard... if the food label says parve or pareve there is no dairy...
Look carefully on bread, margarine labels... even within one brand some are ok, some not.
a lot of processed foods have hidden dairy (whey, casein, etc)

oooh, I didn't know coconut milk would whip up-- cool! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hidden dairy is really hard, and is my nemesis right now. Look for casein lactose and whey in food ingredients. I've found that some surprising foods have hidden dairy in them (like lunch meat!)

I have been eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, peanut butter sandwiches (just make sure you check the bread, because lots of bread are made with milk!), soy & almond milk, hummus, pita chips, salsa, corn tortillas etc.

I'm finding it easier to eat now that I am looking at our meal plan and am changing it to make it all dairy free. For example, we had tacos the other night. Instead of shredding cheese, I cut up a little extra veggies and put some more sauce on it to compensate. I found that I didn't even notice the lack of cheese.

My daughter has a preliminary diagnosis of being allergic to milk protein and I'm on day 6 of a no milk protein diet. To me, the trade off of not being able to eat milk protein is better than trying to find a formula that my 6 month old daughter could tolerate (she's never had any, but most formulas are milk and soy based, and both are on the Big 8 allergen list).

I'm not going to lie and say it's easy, because this has hit me like a brick wall. The first few days after I found out, I was afraid to eat ANYTHING. But I found some support in friends online who have also been through this. It takes dedication, but it is doable

I found this to be helpful:
http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/milk_allergy.html

Last edited by MotherMoonPads; 10-02-2010 at 07:01 PM.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to second the mama that suggested cutting out soy as well. Apparently about a third of babies who can't tolerate milk proteins also can't tolerate soy protein (google "MSPI" - milk-soy protein intolerance). My DD is pretty sensitive to both, although it seems as though she's starting to outgrow it a bit. Cutting out both dairy and soy can be pretty tough at first, but once you get used to reading the labels you fall into a routine and it's much easier. I use guacamole as a replacement for cheese on sandwiches and also use almond milk in cereal and coffee. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, I find it much easier to shop there than a more traditional grocery store, as the foods have fewer ingredients... if no TJ's, Whole Foods is also an option (although a more expensive one). Stay away from processed foods, as they are very likely to contain either milk or soy - or both. There's also a blog (http://mspimama.blogspot.com/) that has a lot of recipes and other info

Good Luck!!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
nina730
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont have a trader joes or whole foods anywhere near me i do have a little health food store that im going to try atleast until i get used to this.
i eat a lot of processed foods so that must be the problem. i just dont feel like i have to the time to actually make recipes, how do you guys do it?? i havent had milk of any kind, ive been really careful with obvious dairy.
ive gone back to work full time and i have my son to take care of. i might try to make some simple recipes in bulk and freeze them. and how do you go out to eat? most places i go to are clueless about what's in the food they serve.
also, is there a test that can be done to confirm the allergy? i mentioned it to my dr and she kind of just blew it off. it's hard to tell if this is truly the problem when she's still fussy a lot of the time. thanks for all the advice
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't go out to eat, and I cook mostly from scratch. When I go back to work next year, I will do twice a month cooking again.

ETA: I look at it this way. If my child truly does have an allergy, Im going to need to learn what foods I can and cannot give her by the time she starts eating solids. Any way I look at it, it is going to be a life change for our family.

Last edited by MotherMoonPads; 10-03-2010 at 11:14 AM.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama, it's hard at first! I've cut out dairy and soy for Levi and we are thinking we may have to do gluten as well.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote