Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Group B strep and homebirth

Ok homebirth mommies I could use some encouragement. I am not giving up on the home birth thing, assuming baby stays in another week. But today I found out I am group B strep positive and had to hear about all the risks and such. I am going to try not to worry too much about it and do all the rigmarole of probiotics, grapefruitseed extract, vitamins c, and garlic to try to get the flora down as much as possible. Then antibacterial washes in labor. I was just really hoping not to have to worry about this. In the birthing center last time they gave me antibiotics because I had not yet been tested for group B strep when my son was born. I ended up with 3 rounds of painful horrible thrush over the next 9 months. I really don't want to go in to the hospital for antibiotics, and I also REALLY don't want my baby to get sick from the group B strep.Ugh.

It's not that big a deal right? Anyone else been down this road?

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Group B strep and homebirth

How far along are you?

I was strep b positive with my #1 & #2, so I should have tested positive with my #3. But I didn't - I took Allimed for 30 days and tested negative - something that is normally unheard of. I swear by it. It's expensive, but it soooo eased my mind since I had a home birth with her.

Allimed™ capsules
http://www.allimax.us/products.php
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

The European protocol in hospitals is to do the Hibiclens wash in labor instead of systemic antibiotics. It is very effective at preventing infection in baby.

Here's a link to the instructions: http://www.drmomma.org/2009/09/chlor...tocol-for.html There's also some other links for further information.

Here's a link to an abstract of a study by Michael Odent of the efficacy of Hibiclens/chlorhexidine: http://icpa4kids.org/HPA-Articles/pr...ptococcus.html
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hibiclens is what my midwife suggested if I had tested positive. It's a great idea too.
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
MamaGlow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my second I did the supplement route, then retested and was neg the day before he was born... plus my water didn't break til he was crowning, so very little possible exposure anyway! I also was asymptomatic myself.

With my third, I did the hibiclens rinse every 4-6 hours, plus took my temp very often and supplemented w/ vit C. My water broke with her Wed am and she was born Fri am... no problems with either of us.

Both were homebirths with the same midwife.

The DrMomma/peaceful parenting site is cool- I haven't seen it before. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tested positive with child #4. Declined the test this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
The European protocol in hospitals is to do the Hibiclens wash in labor instead of systemic antibiotics. It is very effective at preventing infection in baby.

Here's a link to the instructions: http://www.drmomma.org/2009/09/chlor...tocol-for.html There's also some other links for further information.

Here's a link to an abstract of a study by Michael Odent of the efficacy of Hibiclens/chlorhexidine: http://icpa4kids.org/HPA-Articles/pr...ptococcus.html
The above is wht I did with my last two births. I also closely watch the baby for signs of GBS (this includes doing temp monitoring every 2-3 hours!)

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas...I am too far to do the expensive supplements suggested above, but I will do all the other stuff and the cleans. I read the study where the antibiotics were not more affective. I know myself I was given antibiotics last time a do not want to do that again!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tested positive last time, and used the probiotic/garlic/grapefruit seed stuff and did hibiclens during labor. My labor was only 4 hours total, and my water broke about 20 minutes before my son was born. I only had time to do the hibiclens once This time I will decline the test, do the preventative things, and not do any hibiclens. Its more effective to consider your risk factors, and to monitor for possible signs of infection than to attack your body and your baby's body with antibiotics that are alot of times ineffective anyway
Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can your midwife give you the antibiotics at home?

That's what my midwife does, she administers them via IV once you are in labor.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had a homebirth and was + w/ my last
i did things to get it down vit c ,garlic,prbx and the hibclense whiel in labor
child was fine but that is the thing weather you use antb or not the risk is always their but very minimal
also when you do antb you are risking other things such as thrush and if your child does get it risking the antb not working so both ways have their risks

i have not been tested this time
well tested urine early since it was in my urine last time and was neg. this time
i plan to test this time just because i am really curious but i will treat at home reguardless of what the test says since their are no ill affects from it

can get clense any drug store (walmart rite aid ect)

Last edited by mommyshanti; 10-04-2010 at 03:41 PM.
mommyshanti is offline   Reply With Quote