Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
jasminelea
Registered Users
seller

How long did your latching pain last??

DD#2 is 4 weeks now, and I am still experiencing TERRIBLE latching pain, and then super-sensitive nipples throughout the day. It has almost become unbearable. Her latch has been checked a few times and is `ok` but a bit shallow.

I can't remember when things got better with DD#1 (maybe between 2-3 months??), but would like to hear from other people who experienced initial pain, but then things 'magically' got better eventually. So I can see light at the end of this ouchie tunnel.

When did the pain stop for you

Advertisement

jasminelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
3boysmom
Registered Users

Re: How long did your latching pain last??

are you sure your LO isn't tongue tied?

I had horrible pain when nursing #4 and low and behold he had a pretty bad tongue tie and this was the reason for the discomfort. His latch was good, but shallow like your LOs.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Kim0218
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysmom View Post
are you sure your LO isn't tongue tied?

I had horrible pain when nursing #4 and low and behold he had a pretty bad tongue tie and this was the reason for the discomfort. His latch was good, but shallow like your LOs.
You might check this out! I had the same problem. Really it should not be painful! Some people are sensitive, but nothing TOE CURLING! You may remember the pain going away about 2-3 months because their mouths grow and sometimes the tongue is able to move better after they are bigger!
Kim0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
TwinsMami
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had lots of pain for the first 2 months. My twins were preemies and so little. They latched on well but their mouths were so tiny that it took a while to get deeper in. The lactation consultants just asked me to keep re-latching them until they would eventually open wide enough. One lactation consultant literally grabbed my boob, squeezed it and stuck it in one of my babies mouth to show me how deep it needed to be. As shocking as that was, it helped. That shallow latch can be corrected, even when they are little.
As I recall, at about 6 to 8 weeks they started getting it down. I hope your's get's it sooner.
TwinsMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, totally glad to be reading this. I think the shallow latch is our problem. Mine is 9.5 weeks old and my right side especially HURTS when she latches on. The pain lessens after 2 minutes or so, but eek! I do know she doesn't always do the fish lips thign either, but when I pull her top lip up, she pulls off, so it's pointless.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAugust View Post
Ugh, totally glad to be reading this. I think the shallow latch is our problem. Mine is 9.5 weeks old and my right side especially HURTS when she latches on. The pain lessens after 2 minutes or so, but eek! I do know she doesn't always do the fish lips thign either, but when I pull her top lip up, she pulls off, so it's pointless.
Me too! It has gotten better but sometimes baby boy just fiddle farts or pulls further and further off the boob until he's only sucking on the nipple (OUCH!). So we unlatch and re-latch (usually about 1-2 times/feeding). Plus, he's always trying to poop/fart while feeding so he gets confused on what to focus on. I'm so ready for him to figure it out.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is about 4 months old now and I had pain for what seemed like forever. Realistically, it was probably about 4 weeks. It would hurt with the initial latch and then the pain would lessen as he fed. All better now and we're both doing great!
Ehlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
nangel5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 6 months old now and I had pain only on the right side as well. For the 1st 6 weeks or so. It would hurt with the initial latch and then the pain stop after a few minutes. It totally stopped hurting then about a month ago I got really tender again! Not really sure why, but now its all better again.
nangel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
nangel5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooops!

Last edited by nangel5; 10-04-2010 at 07:49 AM.
nangel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
shweebies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It took about 3 weeks for me to get over the pain. It was nearly unbearable. I was afraid I would crush my son's head because of the pain at the beginning of the latch. It was that bad.