Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question How can I entertain a toddler, cook dinner, and sit around?

Not supposed to be a funny question.
But I kinda need to take it easy, not by anyone telling me I have to, just because I've been having contractions and was in the hospital for them Sat. night, and I think it's better if I don't try to do too much. Pretty much if I get up I usually have a contraction.
But my 2 1/2 year old has been watching too much tv. Our house is kind of torn up since we've been getting new flooring, so it's a little harder than usual, but she's already been watching a lot of tv due to that and due to me just being more tired and everything. I really don't want it to go on, but I don't know what else I can get her to do until the other kids get home from school.
I also need to start finding a way to get dinner made. We've been eating entirely too much take out. We have some plans for the next couple days, but I don't know how to get through the whole month, especially with all the activities my kids have this fall.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: How can I entertain a toddler, cook dinner, and sit around?

Invest in a crock pot. It can be a very simple way to cook dinner without you having to be on your feet for very long. If your DH is willing to help, he can even do the prep work (cutting veggies, etc.) at night so in the a.m. all you have to do is toss it all in and turn it on.

As for entertaining your 2.5 year old, play board games, read books, color- all of this you can do while sitting down. If you have the space anywhere in your house, I would look on CL or ask a friend to borrow a small climber/slide/activity center (like a kangaroo climber). That way your LO can be entertained and you can sit and watch and rest.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
jessc82
Registered Users
seller

playdoh and lacing cheerios kept my DS very entertained at that age.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

The crock pot was going to be my suggestion too . I lived by mine when I was working. The only other thing I can think of as for dinner ideas is to freeze casseroles, burritos, enchaladas,etc (if your DH will make them).... I used to pull out a frozen homemade meal, put it in the oven to defrost during the day, and set the timer on the oven to start so dinner would be ready when we got home from work.

The other ladies had some great ideas for keeping your LO busy without the TV. It's hard mama, but you can do it! Try to keep some activities close at hand so you don't have to get up and down... maybe a basket stocked at night with some snacks for LO (and you) books, coloring supplies, puzzles, crafts, etc.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Lisa_delo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Invest in a crock pot. It can be a very simple way to cook dinner without you having to be on your feet for very long. If your DH is willing to help, he can even do the prep work (cutting veggies, etc.) at night so in the a.m. all you have to do is toss it all in and turn it on.

As for entertaining your 2.5 year old, play board games, read books, color- all of this you can do while sitting down. If you have the space anywhere in your house, I would look on CL or ask a friend to borrow a small climber/slide/activity center (like a kangaroo climber). That way your LO can be entertained and you can sit and watch and rest.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Crockpot, double dinners, eat one that night and freeze the other for another day.