Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Too much poo?

Jacob is EBF (minus the one bottle of BM Daddy gives him at night to let Mommy sleep) and we're going through dipes like no tomorrow. Each diaper change usually consists of 2-3 diapers in <10 minutes due to explosive poops. At the pedi yesterday I was told it was normal and would regulate soon, but really...IS this normal? His bottom is getting raw, and I'm having to use butt paste constantly. Guys, he's not even two weeks old. I HATE that he has a rash. How long can I expect this to last? Are the watery stools every time we feed the norm?

Tonya, nurse wife to Matt, mother to Donovan (8/13/06), and baby Jacob (9/24/10), and our newest addition, Ava Elaine (5/10/12). Thank you God for my wonderful family.
tonnabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Too much poo?

would love to hear some responses on this....but unfortunately have no advice.

I seem to have the opposite problem w/ my ds. He has only been having 1 bm a day, and it's like it all comes out at once. We are supplementing, so I switched formulas, thinking maybe he's not digesting it well.
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

DS just went through this. He was pooping like crazy and somewhere around the four week mark, it started slowing down. He's 5 1/2 weeks now.
tjmom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

He may be getting irritated from all the wiping. Since you know he is probably going to poop more, what about waiting 5-10 minutes after a poo, letting him really fill up the diaper, then changing him. Would that work? Little bottoms can get really irritated from wiping (which is abrasive to that tender skin) so 3 changes in 10 minutes may be a lot. Also what are you wiping with? I would use a piece of flannel with just water, it's not as irritating. We also slathered olive oil all over his diaper region after changes, it's super gentle and makes the poop slide right off.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife

I agree with the PP, I would "wait it out" for a few minutes and then change. Hopefully you will save a diaper or two this way.
We use fannel wipes and find that they are pretty soft. I am not a fan of using baby wash clothes as I find that they are not as smooth.
Mama to my 32 weeker A (7/10) - CD, BF, baby wearing, breastmilk donor

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I agree with PPs that the frequency sounds normal and I would wait it out. Last night, DD had a good five or more pushes of poop over 10 minutes. I just waited until she had gone a few minutes without one... and she still pooped as soon as I took the old diaper off. .. that was really the last one.
Mommy to DS 8-23-08, DD 9-19-10, and DD 11-25-12. I'm probably
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote