Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

Any advice/thoughts?

My ds will be just 2 weeks old this Thursday I am bf'ing, but our pedi had me start to supplement due to him losing 11 oz. He weighed 7.7 and at our 1st doc appt at 4 days old he weighed. 6.12 at an appt 2 days later he gained 2 oz.

I would love to just ebf, but I'm not sure he's getting enough. Every time I bf he is falling asleep after 10 minutes, and not having what seems to be like an active latch after a little while. I try switching sides, but he does not do as well on my left side. I have been pumping, and if I pump every 2 hours I can pump about 2 oz. First thing in the am I can get about 4 oz.

How long should he nurse for? I know they give averages, and every baby is different, but when I nurse it seems after a short period of time he seems hungry again. If I give him my milk in a bottle, 2 oz...he sleeps and is content for a few hours. A LC said he had a good latch, it doesn't hurt, I seem to have enough milk. Would you just keep nursing until Lo seemed satisfied? Even if it took an hour? Any thoughts and advice would be helpful!

Advertisement

DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any advice/thoughts?

Speaking from experience, I would not supplement a 2 week old just yet. You said he gained 2oz after that last appt so he is obviously getting enough. NB stomachs are so tiny, it doesn't take much to fill them up.
My DS was 5.13 at birth, 5.4 at discharge and 5.1 4 days after birth. They too said I had to supplement and if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't of done it.

Just keep doing what your doing. It is almost impossible to wake a sleepy NB IMO! Just nurse on demand!
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
tjmom2three
Registered Users

My Mood:

If he's gaining. that's a good sign. If DS starts falling asleep, I tickle him along his spine. If he won't nurse longer, I'd suggest nursing more often. Sometimes if it seems like he's snacking rather than really eating, I change his diaper before I switch to the other side. That always wakes him up!

DD2 lost 11 oz after her birth, and once she started gaining, she was fine. I never received pressure to supplement.
tjmom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is he jaundiced? My little guy nursed like that for the first 3-4 weeks because of jaundiced. I would just keep doing what you are doing as long as he is gaining. The nurse told me to lightly flick the bottom of his feet to awake him and it worked well.

Good luck
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen+1 View Post
I have been pumping, and if I pump every 2 hours I can pump about 2 oz. First thing in the am I can get about 4 oz.
That's a lot mama! It sounds like you have a more than adequate supply. Even pumping an ounce is pretty good at this age, 2 ounces is amazing!

Quote:
Would you just keep nursing until Lo seemed satisfied? Even if it took an hour?
Yes yes yes! That's the idea. It is hard, and sometimes it feels like all you do with a newborn is nurse. Resign yourself to the couch and hang out and nurse on demand. This could mean you are nursing for an hour with a 10 minute break.

I did the math and if I'm correct your LO lost about 10% of his body weight, which IMO isn't enough to make supplementing necessary. Try nursing on demand and your LO should be gaining more in no time! You are doing a great job mama!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

one way that worked for us to keep our LO awake longer to feed was to strip him down to nothing but a diaper to feed.
Don't worry about the baby getting too cold, your body heat will keep them warm enough for the time you are feeding

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the advice ladies!!! The hospitals LC actually called me to see how things were going shortly after posting this...strange coincidence!

As a new mom, I didn't want to supplement, but i was afraid of him losing more weight. We started supplementing at the first doc appt, so we had been doing that when he gained the weight. My sil actually has a baby scale she is going to bring me.

I think I may nix the formula... He has a hard time pooping and only one poopy diaper per day and it's a lot when it finally does come out!

My mil suggested sugar water, any thoughts on that? Not sure how I feel about it
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

Last edited by Colleen+1; 10-04-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice ladies!!! The hospitals LC actually called me to see how things were going shortly after posting this...strange coincidence!

As a new mom, I didn't want to supplement, but i was afraid of him losing more weight. We started supplementing at the first doc appt, so we had been doing that when he gained the weight. My sil actually has a baby scale she is going to bring me.

I think I may nix the formula... He has a hard time pooping and only one poopy diaper per day and it's a lot when it finally does come out!

My mil suggested sugar water, any thoughts on that? Not sure how I feel about it

I would not give sugar water, that is an old wives tale.

Your doing great mama! Bf'ing is hard a$$ work. My DS is just now 4.5 months and it's just now getting easier!
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely don't do sugar water! I had a hard time keeping LO awake to nurse at first as well. I used the tricks mentioned above. She is also a long nurser, and always has been. I would nurse for an hour if that's what he wants. It's a good rest for you and will help your supply. Keep it up!

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, the sugar water doesn't seem like a good idea. It's not like his bms are at all hard. From what I read, the sugar water was for constipation? I know my sil gave her son it, but I don't like the idea of it. His bm was very runny yesterday when I changed him, and there was a lot there, same thing as the night before. For whatever reason he is just pooping once a day. Lots of wet diapers though.

Dh tells me "mom said she would tell you to give him sugar water, but she knew you probably wouldn't" wth does that mean?!

I fed him at 2:15 and he was good for almost 2 hours, then he fed at 4:15 and 5:15. He is asleep now.