Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Ladies I need your help and encouragement

Saturday was my DS 4 month appt (he's actually 4.5 months now)
I'm disappointed. His stats are: 10lbs 11oz, 25.5in long and a small head lol I don't remember the measurement. So he's falling off the chart for weight above average for height and in the ballpark for head circ. He was below 3% for his weight. He was up to 5% at his 2 month mark. His ped recommended giving him a bottle of formula after every feeding to get more calories into him. He said that pumping bm and giving that to him wasn't going to help since it's obvious my milk is on the lean side. He also said since he eats every 2 1/2-3 hours that there is something wrong with that Really? I thought bf babies ate more often. And I attribute the night thing he's doing lately to sleep regression combo with growth spurt. <<<<<sigh>>>>> I feel very, deflated. I was so so proud of the fact that we were EBF and he was thriving and doing well. Yes he's skinny, but so is his Daddy! When he's naked, he looks just like his Daddy, long and lean. My DH could eat an elephant and not a gain a pound! So isn't there something to say about genetics here? I really don't want to give him formula, mainly cause it's a PITA! I don't know what to do. I have noticed something going on with my left boob (the smaller one) lately. DS gets real fussy on that side and will latch and un-latch multiple times just in the last few days and it's hard to tell if he's just wanting to comfort nurse at that point or if he's getting frustrated that the milk isn't coming. But I can express and it's there so....? I don't know what to do. DH wants me to give him the formula but he doesn't understand how depressing that is. Any advice?

Advertisement

Last edited by runzbarrel; 10-04-2010 at 12:20 PM.
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ladies I need your help and encouragement

Apparently there is something wrong with my son as well:0) He eats every 2-3 hours and is 7 months. He's a snacker and has always been one. It looks like he's really long. Mine is 30" at 7 months and his weight is only in the 50% percentile - long and lean not a bad thing. What I would do is take a month and now you have his stats and continue to BF and check his weight in a week or two and see (I took DS in every two weeks until he was 5 months because I was freaked out he wasn't getting enough to eat) if it continues to increase or is it staying the same. You could also add a bottle of formula once a day as opposed to every feeding and see how that works. Also remember no shame or harm in formula you are doing what is best for his needs. DS needed it after birth because he was a NICU baby and could not afford to lose any weight upon going home. Either way he'll be ok.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm. Those pedis are so quick to push the formula, rather than get to the root of the problem. First off, I don't think there is a thing wrong with your LO nursing every 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 4 months! That's ridiculous. DS nursed every 1 1/2 to 2 hours until he was probably nearly a year old! But since your LO is sliding off the charts, it may be good to look into getting more calories in him. Before giving him formula though, what about trying to up your supply and add some fat to your milk? Start eating oatmeal (steel cut always worked best for me) for breakfast each morning. Put some brewer's yeast on your salad or rice every day, and start taking fish oil and eating avocados or other healthy fat foods. Coconut might be a good one too. Your LO could also be in a growth spurt which would explain the fussiness at the breast, he may be impatient. Try the change in your diet for a few days and see if you can catch up to his needs.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
nicole2338
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is actually a few questions I have before I post an opinion. Was he full term when he was born? If not how many weeks were you. What was his wt and length at birth vs now? Is he a fussy baby or usually completely content? Any known health problems? How much milk do you get when you pump, and how long does it take to get that amount? Do you ever pump after he feeds to increase your milk productions? These questions can tell a lot about what is going on with him like are things normal or is there maybe something else that is going on.
nicole2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PP, more information needed. Also agree that ped's are real quick to push formula instead of resolving the issue. I'm a CLC, but know nothing about increasing your fat content of your milk. Get in touch with an IBCLC today and make an appt. Also try LLL. Those mama's are a wealth of information as well as incredibly supportive.

Keep feeding your LO that breast milk! It is a problem if he's falling off his growth curve. Push for a solution beyond "give him formula". It's so sad to have someone make you feel like your milk is inadequate. Your milk is good stuff. No one can duplicate it. Hang in there.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

What about fortifying your breastmilk instead of giving formula?
Yes, it is still a bottle, but in this case it is still your BM, just with an added boost.

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole2338 View Post
There is actually a few questions I have before I post an opinion. Was he full term when he was born? If not how many weeks were you. What was his wt and length at birth vs now? Is he a fussy baby or usually completely content? Any known health problems? How much milk do you get when you pump, and how long does it take to get that amount? Do you ever pump after he feeds to increase your milk productions? These questions can tell a lot about what is going on with him like are things normal or is there maybe something else that is going on.

He was delivered via scheduled c-section at 38 weeks due to my health. He weighed 5.13 and 18.5 in. He dropped to 5.4 upon discharge and 5.1 4 days after birth.
He is not a fussy baby, at least not IMO. He seems pretty content unless he's hungry, dirty or tired No known health problems with him. I don't pump right now but when I did I would get about 2oz total after 15 minutes.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain View Post
I agree with PP, more information needed. Also agree that ped's are real quick to push formula instead of resolving the issue. I'm a CLC, but know nothing about increasing your fat content of your milk. Get in touch with an IBCLC today and make an appt. Also try LLL. Those mama's are a wealth of information as well as incredibly supportive.

Keep feeding your LO that breast milk! It is a problem if he's falling off his growth curve. Push for a solution beyond "give him formula". It's so sad to have someone make you feel like your milk is inadequate. Your milk is good stuff. No one can duplicate it. Hang in there.
He's not really "falling" off of it. He was only at 5% at his 2 month appt.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMs Wife View Post
What about fortifying your breastmilk instead of giving formula?
Yes, it is still a bottle, but in this case it is still your BM, just with an added boost.
I was wondering if there was something I could add to my bm to boost calories. I would rather do that than give formula.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

So, he was just a bitty when he was born. My daughter is 2 and just 20 lbs. Some babies are just little. She is perfectly healthy and intelligent and active and always has been and always has been tiny.

If he doesn't look sick and lethargic and dehydrated, he's probably just fine. If you want to ease your mind, having someone else look at him and you latch is a good idea. Go to a La Leche League meeting or call a lactation consultant and have them look at him.
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote