Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
question about glucose SCREENING test...

hello! i took the glucose screening test at 29 weeks and the result was 142. the drs office said it was "borderline", as the cut-off they use is 140. i asked if i can please take the screening test again, rather than the 3 hr test, to see if my numbers improve (since it was close to the cut-off). i was doing some reading that suggested that taking the glucose first thing in the morning without having eaten the whole night before (like i did) could skew results because pregnancy hormones are all over the place at that time of day. i want to take it again in the afternoon if i can.

do you think this is reasonable? i have yet to hear back from my dr.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: question about glucose SCREENING test...

With numbers that close......I think you are being completely reasonable.

The 1hr is very unreliable (gives a high number of false positives).
Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I don't even take the glucose tolerance test. I think it's really, REALLY unreliable. I won't go into that too much unless you want me to. I think you are being PERFECTLY reasonable. Rather than the glucose test, I've just done random finger sticks at different times - when just waking up, just after a meal, just before bed, etc. IMO, that's more reliable and accurate than the glucose tolerance testing.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mama, If I were you I wouldn't take the test again or agree to the three hour. Most Dr. offices have a cut off of 150. So if you would have had the test almost anywhere else you would have passed.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

really? i keep reading that most drs have a cutoff of 140 or even less.
so confusing!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat899 View Post
Mama, If I were you I wouldn't take the test again or agree to the three hour. Most Dr. offices have a cut off of 150. So if you would have had the test almost anywhere else you would have passed.
I would agree with this. If you feel good and don't have a family history of diabetes, and eat a sensible diet there is probably nothing to worry about. I never showed up for my GTT in the first place, and after a while they just stopped asking me about it. The diagnosis of GDM is sometimes sketchy, in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish my dr. had a cut off of 150 or even 140! My doc's is 130 & that is exactly what I got. I just did the 3 hr. yesterday, and I would probably not do it again. I would definitely ask for a re-test!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had 3 tests. I passed my first, but since I switched doctor's offices, they made me take another. I failed that one, but passed the one 2 weeks before. And I might add that if I hadn't taken that test, no one would have ever caught it (AND I took it later than what is normally prescribed).

My third test was the 3 hour test, which 1 *just* failed. I think you have to fail a couple of the readings (which I did) and I only failed by 2 points! Ugh. They usually want you to take the test in the morning because you have to fast, and they don't like the idea of a pregnant woman going too long without food.

BTW, if you find out you have gestational diabetes, please feel free to PM, so I can share all the things I did wrong (like not speak up for myself more). I hope you do pass the test though!

ETA: I was so, so upset when I found out, I cried for HOURS. And I was eating so well before then too - lots of fresh fruits and veggies, organic everything, lots of yogurt and lean meats. They cut my food intake into a fraction of what I used to be. I was SO hungry, I would cry myself to sleep. And then I would see these pregnant women drinking soda and eating chips in front of me all the time. All I wanted was to be able to eat more fruit - the one thing I craved was the one thing I couldn't have much of!

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-05-2010 at 02:40 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got!!!! 172!!! On my 1 hr.
They bugged me for 2 weeks to come do the 3 hr test. I told them no over and over.
We finally agreed on a compromise
I'm having a big ol' sugar filled breakfast on Thursday and they are taking my blood 2x's w/in 2 hrs after.
I can deal with this.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeans View Post
I got!!!! 172!!! On my 1 hr.
They bugged me for 2 weeks to come do the 3 hr test. I told them no over and over.
We finally agreed on a compromise
I'm having a big ol' sugar filled breakfast on Thursday and they are taking my blood 2x's w/in 2 hrs after.
I can deal with this.
Oh that 3 hour test is the PITS. You have to CHUG some sugary hell that some sadist concocted that makes you want to vomit and then makes you all shaky and sick, then someone gets to poke you every hour for more blood. And you have to SIT around for 3 hours. You cannot walk around or go away, you seriously have to sit there for 3 stinkin hours!
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote