Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: question about glucose SCREENING test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
Oh that 3 hour test is the PITS. You have to CHUG some sugary hell that some sadist concocted that makes you want to vomit and then makes you all shaky and sick, then someone gets to poke you every hour for more blood. And you have to SIT around for 3 hours. You cannot walk around or go away, you seriously have to sit there for 3 stinkin hours!
You got it girl!!
I've had to do it 2x's with my precious pregnancies.

I'm just now learning if I don't want to do something, I can say no and they have to listen.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeans View Post
You got it girl!!
I've had to do it 2x's with my precious pregnancies.

I'm just now learning if I don't want to do something, I can say no and they have to listen.
The next time they try to put me on some CRAZY diet for diabetes, I am also saying NO! 45 g for dinner!? That is one apple and one banana - that is ALL the carbs I got for dinner! Or 1/2 a cup of juice and half a banana. WTF?! I was ready to eat my left fist! The nurses' suggestion... "have 6 almonds.. that should be enough for you." WTF?! 6 freaking almonds when I can woof down 2 plates of spaghetti like nothing!? Sure.. I am sure that will fill me up!

And DS came out at 39 weeks (almost 40) at 6 pounds, 12 ounces!! He lost more weight in the hospital (like they usually do) and was in the 10th percentile. Thanks, GD nurses!!

ETA: Next time I am doing what my body tells me to do. If baby wants half a cantaloupe for dinner, then that is what baby is getting! I will take insulin if I have to, but I WILL EAT.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-05-2010 at 03:55 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
CokeLover
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Oh that 3 hour test is the PITS. You have to CHUG some sugary hell that some sadist concocted that makes you want to vomit and then makes you all shaky and sick, then someone gets to poke you every hour for more blood. And you have to SIT around for 3 hours. You cannot walk around or go away, you seriously have to sit there for 3 stinkin hours!
I had to take the three hour this time and was aloud to leave and walk around if I wanted. I had all 4 of my kids with me and we went to a park that is attached to the hospital and we ran around and played for the hour every time

I hope you pass the next one mama!!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeLover View Post
I had to take the three hour this time and was aloud to leave and walk around if I wanted. I had all 4 of my kids with me and we went to a park that is attached to the hospital and we ran around and played for the hour every time

I hope you pass the next one mama!!
WHAT??!!

They made me stay still because moving lowers your blood sugar. I guess (where I went) they WANT you to fail.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard that d/t pregnancy and the decreased motility your results can be skewed. This time (baby four) is the first time I failed my 1 hr test. (my result was 178) I did eat swiss cake rolls the night before!! Anyhow three days before my 3 hour test I really limited my carb intake and I passed with normal results. Hth

The three hr test is a drag and no one likes being stuck 4 times. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not.
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The next time they try to put me on some CRAZY diet for diabetes, I am also saying NO! 45 g for dinner!? That is one apple and one banana - that is ALL the carbs I got for dinner! Or 1/2 a cup of juice and half a banana. WTF?! I was ready to eat my left fist! The nurses' suggestion... "have 6 almonds.. that should be enough for you." WTF?! 6 freaking almonds when I can woof down 2 plates of spaghetti like nothing!? Sure.. I am sure that will fill me up!

And DS came out at 39 weeks (almost 40) at 6 pounds, 12 ounces!! He lost more weight in the hospital (like they usually do) and was in the 10th percentile. Thanks, GD nurses!!

ETA: Next time I am doing what my body tells me to do. If baby wants half a cantaloupe for dinner, then that is what baby is getting! I will take insulin if I have to, but I WILL EAT.

wow that's crazy 6 almonds??
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
wow that's crazy 6 almonds??
Yeah, if that 45 g of carbs wasn't enough, I should fill up on 6 almonds. OR 15 individual peanuts. That is EXACTLY what they said when I told them that I cried myself to sleep because I was so hungry. "What that isn't enough for you? Most women find that they can't finish all that food." Well, I eat like a horse, and no, that meal plan was NOT enough. And that pregnancy craving... I felt like a crack addict (for fruit). That is ALL I wanted to eat. Lots of juicy fruits! I got really depressed on that meal plan.

I was SO starving for fruit and fruit juice I would drink that V8 Splash. And I feel really guilty because it has that artificial sweetener in it. I only had a few, but normally I stay away from even white sugar.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I don't even take the glucose tolerance test. I think it's really, REALLY unreliable. I won't go into that too much unless you want me to. I think you are being PERFECTLY reasonable. Rather than the glucose test, I've just done random finger sticks at different times - when just waking up, just after a meal, just before bed, etc. IMO, that's more reliable and accurate than the glucose tolerance testing.
this exactly

45g of carbs for dinner is doable if you're dedicated...dreamfields pasta with sauce AND bread is a good choice, turkey or chicken sandwich with cheese/lettuce/mustard and an apple..chicken salad is great, different brands of wheat bread have diff carbs..some are 11 per slice, some 20..you can have twice as much if you choose right lol! you just have to get creative is all

Last edited by tygr2410; 10-05-2010 at 04:58 PM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
this exactly

45g of carbs for dinner is doable if you're dedicated...dreamfields pasta with sauce AND bread is a good choice, turkey or chicken sandwich with cheese/lettuce/mustard and an apple..you just have to get creative is all
I don't think you understand what a gluttonous BEAST I was!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't think you understand what a gluttonous BEAST I was!
i love me some carbs, my fav time of day was night time, b/c after dinner i got a snack of an apple with pb and a glass of milk...sad really lol!